Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 01:43 AM

Default Re: How Kenny Tran Rates Internet Players

lol @ Tran berating anybody for not laying down a hand.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am just a messenger here and don't even really know, for the most part, which players are involved.

Anyway about a month ago I happened to be in a (rare) 50-100 no limit holdem game with Kenny Tran, who I barely know, except that I hear he is one of the best high stakes cash game players. And I asked him how many of the top 20 high stakes NLH players nowadays, were mainly products of the internet. His answer was "zero, they can't lay down a hand."

Upon asking for elaboration, he told me that he was talking mainly about very high stakes, nine handed, live games. If the nine handed game happened to be on the internet his answer remained zero but it was closer. If it was a six handed internet high stakes game he now agreed that some of the top twenty would be those who are considered internet players. He also specified that he did not consider Patrick Antonius to be an internet player.

Again I barely know many of the players he was thinking of. And he didn't name them. If there are specific players who you are curious as to where he ranks them, you can ask me and I'll ask him. He gave me permission to start this thread which I am doing soley because it might generate discussion. I don't know enough to participate in that discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

tran is wrong about this. many of the "young guns" i play against are as good as the wcp's that came before them and before the internet AT HOLDEM. None (and i mean none) of the top 100 POKER PLAYERS in the world are products of the internet. every now and then one of the internet kids goes on such a big heater he wanders over to the big mixed game and the skill level is laughable...which leads me to believe that most dont understand poker in general. i remember huck seed, minutes after learning the basic rules of a game he was already a dangerous player, i havent met an internet guy like that yet. theyre brought up wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think anyone is really arguing about games other than holdem here.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have seen Barry Greenstein address this on this site. His argument is that the caliber of player you play against is much more important than how many hands you played. Playing 500,000 hands against inferior opponents is not going to make you better.

[/ QUOTE ]That's an argument for the best online players being superior to the best live players. The standard of play live is far, far lower than online. There's a lot more drop in business from rich people wanting to gamble in LA and Vegas than there is online.

Ffs, Tran's example were laying down KK preflop. You can't do that against good players; it's an example of live players, *possibly*, being better than live players against passive fish who makes their AA obvious.

[ QUOTE ]
Think about it this way... Someone who played 500,000 hands of micro limits online is not necessarily going to be better than someone who has played 100,000 hands of nosebleed limits, right?

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, but it's the live players who'er the micro players in your example.

[ QUOTE ]
You need to actually play against better players to improve your game.

[/ QUOTE ]And that's exactly what the best online players have done, to a far greater extent than Doyle and the gang.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am just a messenger here and don't even really know, for the most part, which players are involved.

Anyway about a month ago I happened to be in a (rare) 50-100 no limit holdem game with Kenny Tran, who I barely know, except that I hear he is one of the best high stakes cash game players. And I asked him how many of the top 20 high stakes NLH players nowadays, were mainly products of the internet. His answer was "zero, they can't lay down a hand."

Upon asking for elaboration, he told me that he was talking mainly about very high stakes, nine handed, live games. If the nine handed game happened to be on the internet his answer remained zero but it was closer. If it was a six handed internet high stakes game he now agreed that some of the top twenty would be those who are considered internet players. He also specified that he did not consider Patrick Antonius to be an internet player.

Again I barely know many of the players he was thinking of. And he didn't name them. If there are specific players who you are curious as to where he ranks them, you can ask me and I'll ask him. He gave me permission to start this thread which I am doing soley because it might generate discussion. I don't know enough to participate in that discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

who was the other guy? maybe the call was more a comment on trans play/image than vice versa.

the other day i got in several raises and got AI w/ kk v. aa against a crazy armo whose pf AI range was ak, aqs, 88+. i guess he could come on here and say i cant lay down a hand. after the guy won, another reg said softly, "the table just won 4k off limon"...lucky im tilt proof.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:01 AM

There is not a chance in hell i would want to play against Kenny Tran. I consider him to be a very strong player and when he sat down at the Commerce 20/40 game I was in, I did my best to just avoid him. Mostly he stays at 50/100 so I dont have to deal with him yet. Then again im more live player at this point than internet player.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is not a chance in hell i would want to play against Kenny Tran. I consider him to be a very strong player and when he sat down at the Commerce 20/40 game I was in, I did my best to just avoid him. Mostly he stays at 50/100 so I dont have to deal with him yet. Then again im more live player at this point than internet player.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf, just bust him
Old 11-20-2007, 10:07 AM

This is the funniest part of the entire thread.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:23 AM

Could everyone please keep quoting this ENTIRE picture set so that this thread gets stretched even longer??? Worthless....
Old 11-20-2007, 10:31 AM

im not sure u see what u did there?
Old 11-20-2007, 10:33 AM

Sure