Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Re: help me pick a place, ill go (and trip report it)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
James - I think that's true for Maui and Oahu, but Kauai is an island I could see as a nice spot to just chill, relax, write etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

The East side of Maui would fit the bill too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean as far east as Hana? Or around Paia / Haiku area? Either way I'd agree with you. I actually prefer staying in Paia vs. say Lahaina because it feels less touristy and is a bit more removed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had Hana in mind, but either one. Hana is *really* remote, if that's what he's after. I could definitely see "getting away from things" there for a week. Paia was cool, but I think I'd get bored there after a few days (at least as bored as I could be in Maui.)

Krantz, if you're really thinking about the Hawai'i thing, I started a "Hawai'i Travel Thread" towards the beginning of July that has a pretty extensive trip report of Maui, and other people chime in with a ton of good info as well: Hawai'i Travel

[ QUOTE ]
But for someone visiting for the first time, I think it'd be a waste to just relax, when there is so much to see and do on the island.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but there's no reason he couldn't do an extra week, and "be a tourist" for one of them.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Trapp Family Lodge.

It's a 6 hr or less drive from NYC and is in the Green Mountains of Vermont. You can climb Mt Mansfield one day and visit Burlington and Lake Champlain the next. Ben & Jerry's factory is nearby and there are several small wineries around. Magic Hat has a its brewery in Burlington and Long Trail's brewery is right of the interstate on the way there.

I gotta believe that the foliage is probably starting to change as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Burlington is awesome. I went for the first time last month and had a great time.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Krantz,

Maine. Go up, place by a lake, relax. State motto is "The way life was meant to be" and it lives up to it. Thank me later.

[/ QUOTE ]

And get some lobster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maine is a great place [I live here], especially around this time of year and especially when you want to relax.

Bar Harbor would definitely fit the bill with Acadia Nat'l Park and everything else around. If you wanted to go to a resort sort of thing, then the Samoset is a great option.

http://www.acadiamagic.com/bar-harbor/index.html
http://www.samosetresort.com/
Old 09-28-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Trapp Family Lodge.

It's a 6 hr or less drive from NYC and is in the Green Mountains of Vermont. You can climb Mt Mansfield one day and visit Burlington and Lake Champlain the next. Ben & Jerry's factory is nearby and there are several small wineries around. Magic Hat has a its brewery in Burlington and Long Trail's brewery is right of the interstate on the way there.

I gotta believe that the foliage is probably starting to change as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

hawaii sounds awesome but i think i'm more in the mood for something cooler (weather-wise) and closer... vermont and maine are the front runners right now.

this lodge looks kinda sweet.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:00 PM

Maybe try renting a lookout tower. The U.S. Forest Service now rents some of the ones not in use. <a href="www.fs.fed.us/recreation/reservations/" target="_blank">link</a>

www.fs.fed.us/recreation/reservations/
Old 09-28-2007, 09:16 PM

in reference to all the Boulder suggestions, I would actually go to Estes Park instead: http://www.estes-park.com/

gorgeous time of year for it.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:17 PM

www.osthoff.com
Old 09-28-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Krantz,

Maine. Go up, place by a lake, relax. State motto is "The way life was meant to be" and it lives up to it. Thank me later.

[/ QUOTE ]

And get some lobster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maine is a great place [I live here], especially around this time of year and especially when you want to relax.

Bar Harbor would definitely fit the bill with Acadia Nat'l Park and everything else around. If you wanted to go to a resort sort of thing, then the Samoset is a great option.

http://www.acadiamagic.com/bar-harbor/index.html
http://www.samosetresort.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

Winner. Lakes are so peaceful. I can spend hours just skipping rocks and enjoying the view.

P.S. Sublet your apt to me plz.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you probably want an escape from poker, but isn't the aruba tournament next week or something? maybe just go there, don't play the tourney and just chill out with friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeti, i respect you, but jesus this sounds like an awful idea
Old 09-28-2007, 10:55 PM

i really like woodstock, vermont...its a quintessential vermont town...the woodstock inn is very nice...also travel and leisure rated this the best inn in the state...http://travelandleisure.com/hotels/i...arms-shelburne