J. Walker vs Ind 8 30.77%
E. Kennison vs Sea 7 26.92%
D. Carter vs Dal 1 3.85%
T. Brown @ Min 1 3.85%
J. Jurevicius vs NYJ 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2007, 10:42 AM

Default Theory Discussion - Table Selection

I have been thinking about table selection alot recently and I am sure many of you will agree with me, but this is where winning poker really starts. Good table selection decisions will greatly payoff in the long run.

I find in many of today's games I cannot find what I would classify as a 'great' table. For me, this generally means alot of loose/passive players that overvalue their hands. I find that typically, this type of game is easiest for me to beat and has typically low variance. Today's games usually put me in a decision where I find tables with 1-2 of these player's and the rest are medium-strong regulars.

Having the second form of tables in great abundance means we are put to another decision. What seat is going to maximize our EV. Where is it in relation to my target players and the players I want to stay away from. This all boils down to position. Who do I want position on and why?

Below I have outlined two very common tables I come across playing nl50 at FTP. For discussions sake, we will say they are nl25.

Some assumptions are, we have datamined for an hour prior to playing in order to make educated decisions before sitting down. We multitable, but only need to select one more table of the two remaining, which include the following players/reads:

Table one - 25nl

Seat 1: 50/20/2.4 -- 100 hands -- $45 -- No reads
Seat 2: 35/8/1 -- 300 hands -- $22 -- No reads
Seat 3: Open
Seat 4: 25/15/2 -- 800 hands -- $52 -- Villian is straightforward, often enters the pot with marginal hands.
Seat 5: 22/18/4 -- 2300 hands -- $32 -- Villian is a multitabling regular. 3bets light against you and is positionally aware. Definately a solid winning player.
Seat 6: Open

Table 2 - 25nl

Seat 1: Open
Seat 2: 68/2/.3 -- 17 hands -- $13 -- No reads
Seat 3: 30/12/2 -- 200 hands -- $22 -- No reads
Seat 4: 25/8/2 -- 150 hands -- $28 -- No reads
Seat 5: Open
Seat 6: 35/25/6 -- 1500 hands -- $65 -- Villian is very aggressive and seems positionally aware. Will constantly put you to a decision, however, stacks off pretty light because of his agression.

So at which table and in which seat do you sit? More importantly why do you sit in that particular seat. When replying, please state your style of play and how you plan to adjust to the table to maximize your EV.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Theory Discussion - Table Selection

I like to sit on the left of the fish player on table 1. Seat 1 and 2 seem to play alot of pots which would allow you to 3bet/raise to isolate them and play pots against them.

Table 2 doesnt have enough money on it to consider it a table to select. IMO. If I had to sit it would be seat one, hoping to mess with the 35/25/6 that has a good stack.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:59 AM

I like table 2, seat 1 for the reason of blind stealing and getting to seriously choose which hands you'll play with seat 6.

Since I'll be raising PF against seats 2-4 frequently, I'll have a loose image and I can choose to enter a pot with seat 6 when I've really got it. So I've got the added bonus of constant blind-steals to keep my stack up, with the option of waiting to stack-a-lag when I've got the goods.

BTW, my table selection generally sucks. Comments?

Pilket
Old 10-01-2007, 11:05 AM

Table 2, Seat 5. 3 fish playing too many hands on my right, I can adjust to Seat 6 being on my left.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Table 2, Seat 5. 3 fish playing too many hands on my right, I can adjust to Seat 6 being on my left.

[/ QUOTE ]

Table 2 is dry. What difference does it make if you have position on fish when they don't have any monies.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also good relative position for much of the time.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:23 AM

Left of him is seat 6 right?
Old 10-01-2007, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Left of him is seat 6 right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. This was my choice as well. When he limps and you raise, you'll get a lot of pots heads up with him and he almost has a full stack. I like this seat.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Table 2 is dry. What difference does it make if you have position on fish when they don't have any monies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two full stacks and one half-stack.. ?
Old 10-01-2007, 11:36 AM

Its kinda confusing but ..

[ QUOTE ]
Below I have outlined two very common tables I come across playing nl50 at FTP. For discussions sake, we will say they are nl25.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since OP was not clear I just assumed it was 50nl since in my experience its not easy to find tables this deep for 25nl.