Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 12:59 AM

Default NL player moving to Omaha....

If you had to give me a few down and dirty strat pointers that I need to make in my game what would it be? I know most people normally go from NL to LH or something similar but having recently read the Full Tilt guide and playing a few freerolls I really like Omaha and want to get better. TY
Old 08-05-2007, 01:00 AM

Default Re: NL player moving to Omaha....

Muhahaha, good luck suckaaa
Old 08-05-2007, 01:02 AM

1) Two cards play from hand, Three from board
2) play connected cards
3) read discussions of hands
4) post your own hands, concrete examples much better than abstract principles.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:35 AM

NL, AA > PLO, AAxx

Only time anyone raise's in PLO is when they have AAxx. Try not to fall into this trap. Most over rated hand in PLO.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:25 AM

OK, first off, don't assume that any time anyone raises, they have AAxx. That's way off. For a 3-bet, they'll have AAxx most of the time, and a tight player raising from the blinds usually will too, but if you put every single player that raises on AAxx, you're going to lose a lot of money.

Here's some better advice:

1. Focus much more on position than you would in NLHE. The hand values are going to be pretty similar a lot of the time, so a lot of the time so you want to play a lot more hands from the button and the CO than you do from EP and the blinds.

2. Don't get carried away preflop. It seems like you can play anything in PLO, but you still want to keep your VPIP under 50 and hopefully down in the 35-40 range. If you don't have a fairly decent chance to make the nuts, just toss it.

3. Play the flop very aggressively. You want to be hammering your good combo draws and when you've got a good made hand, you almost always to bet the whole pot to keep people from drawing cheaply. Along with SHLHE, PLO is the game where aggression is the most important.

4. Watch out for non-nut draws. Calling a PSB with a K-hi flush draw is going to get you in lots of trouble. Likewise, calling with any kind of draw on a paired board is going to lose you a ton of chips when you hit.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:33 AM

- initially, draw to the nuts almost exclusively in multi-way pots
- The nuts is almost 6 times more likely to be out there. This means that certain HE monsters can be sucker hands on Omaha. Examples include: 3rd nut flush, under boats, naked nut straights on a flush draw board, top two pair, bottom set, and trips with weak kickers.
- in general, don't chase straight and flush draws on paired boards.
- be less inclined to slow play. Many would say never slow play, even if you flop quads.
- Don't make little 1/4 pot bets unless you have a really good reason
- bet your big draws like you would the nuts
- a big straight and flush combo draw is often a favourite over top set
- Over pairs are nothing particularly special
- Learning how to play non-nut hands/draws as play becomes more shorthanded is a key skill that you can only really get through experience. Most never figure it out.

Most importantly: mentally prepare yourself for getting sucked out on a lot.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A+
that means you need about 30 buy-in bankroll to play at your current limit, especially if you are a newb

i think this topic should be sticked
Old 08-05-2007, 07:38 AM

I think good advice is to play lower than your limits at hold'em, because the game plays bigger, with bigger pots and swings, and regular stackings.

On the other hand, this is compensated for by the fact that PLO games for any given level are generally not so tough.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A+
that means you need about 30 buy-in bankroll to play at your current limit, especially if you are a newb

i think this topic should be sticked

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think this is true at all...be mentally prepared to lose many more 60/40 confrontations...but they are easier to accept then losing to one and two outers that hold'em produces on a seemingly hourly basis
Old 08-05-2007, 01:27 PM

I've just been starting up playing Omaha over the last few weeks, and from one new player to another, here's my advice:

1) Be prepared for massive suckouts that just eat your soul. One outers are common, and I think that (having only played a few weeks) I've already seen my top sets get busted by flushes or straights on the river multiple times. I just had one happen to me as I was typing. Extremely frustrating, but that's what happens in Omaha when there are so many draws available when each player has four cards

2) Don't overvalue paired hands, as mentioned above.I find the hands that are most successful are hands such as long connectors (789T), double-suited aces (Ah, Ad, 4h, 4d), things along that.

3) When you have the nuts, you have to get as much money in as possible. This may seem to conflict with #1, and it does, but suckouts happen. Be mentally prepared, which means bankroll management is even that much more important

4) If you think that your opponent is the type that only calls down/bets with the nuts, then don't be afraid to bluff. I've been successful doing this on scary boards against players who I have been playing with for a while and only put their money in with the exact nuts.

This is all I can think of so far. Hopefully it is helpful for you.