Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 04:23 AM

Default 100 NL, limped pot, re-raise river?

Villain seems loose, and is passive postflop.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $173.85
Hero (BB): $107.35
UTG: $111.50
UTG+1: $111.50
MP1: $94.50
MP2: $93.95
MP3: $296.70
CO: $39.65
BTN: $114.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (9 Players)
3 folds, MP2 calls $1.00, MP3 folds, CO calls $1.00, BTN folds, SB calls $0.50, Hero checks

Flop: ($4) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 Players)
SB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, CO checks

Turn: ($4) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $3.00</font>, MP2 calls $3.00, 2 folds

River: ($10) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $7.00</font>, <font color="red">MP2 raises to $21.00</font>, Hero calls or raises?

I was going to C/R flop actually.

I hit the second best flush on the river. Should I 3-bet? Since the pot was so small leading to the river, I feel like if I 3-bet I'm only getting action from the nuts, unless villain is braindead.

I think I have the best hand here a lot, but I feel uncomfortable stacking off here. Just call?
Old 07-11-2007, 04:31 AM

Default Re: 100 NL, limped pot, re-raise river?

I would just call. he may not have the Ace high Flush but itis even possible that he reraises with other Flush Hands when you raise. this could mean that you have to fold the maybe best hand
Old 07-11-2007, 05:38 AM

I would call, but i think calling is wrong!!

I think we have the best hand probably around 60% of the time here but how much do we raise? does he push with 34 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]? do we call a push?

If i'm confident that he has a brain and doesn't push with a low flush then Id probably just min raise and fold to a push.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:04 AM

Just lead out on the flop. There's no reason to think anyone else is going to bet at it.

I'd definitely re-raise the river. You have the second nuts and there are tons of hands he could have apart from Ax of spades. Your line doesn't even look much like a flush - he might think you have two pair or just a King and could be raising for value with an expertly played set, a straight, KJ, lower flush etc. I'd raise it up small to around $55 and call shove.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:14 AM

If all the money goes in on the river I no longer like my chances of having the best hand...
Old 07-11-2007, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If all the money goes in on the river I no longer like my chances of having the best hand...

[/ QUOTE ]

In which case its an easy call.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I just think you're losing serious value from hands that aren't the nuts if you don't re-raise. You can't always just play the nuts. If you think you usually (&gt;50% of the time) have the best hand given the river action so far, you should raise. If your read is that he only ever shoves with Ax spades, you can happily fold, but that doesn't make the raise wrong, because so long as he calls with worse more frequently than he has the Ace-high flush and shoves, the raise has a positive expectation.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I just think you're losing serious value from hands that aren't the nuts if you don't re-raise. You can't always just play the nuts. If you think you usually (&gt;50% of the time) have the best hand given the river action so far, you should raise. If your read is that he only ever shoves with Ax spades, you can happily fold, but that doesn't make the raise wrong, because so long as he calls with worse more frequently than he has the Ace-high flush and shoves, the raise has a positive expectation.

[/ QUOTE ]

All well and good, my worry with this reasoning is that he may, if he has a baby flush, think that because of the line you took, you don't have a flush (clearly that's what he thought when he made that river bet).

So he concludes that he is against a str8, set or 2 pair or whatever. He shoves, which then folds out the best hand. He might also conclude this with the nut straight, in a way he is more likely to come to that conclusion with that hand. Because this is such an expensive and bad outcome for us, it may well eat up the gains we made from getting a call to a minraise.

I would guess raising subtracts as much value as it adds in this particular instance, or if it is +ev then only by an extremely thin margin. So, I just call.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think you usually (&gt;50% of the time) have the best hand given the river action so far, you should raise.

[/ QUOTE ]That's not true at all. If you think you are good 90% of the time but he only calls your raise with the 10% that beats you then you should call.

Still in this case I think a raise is in order and I'm probably doing a crying call if he shoves.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:45 AM

I like a bet on the flop to build a pot for when you hit/miss.

I'm happy to go broke with the 2nd nuts here.