Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Don Imus vs. Black America?

Well if you guys have been living under a rock Imus refered to some women's basketball team as nappy headed ho's. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson along with lots of other people are calling on Imus to be fired.

Imus vs. Sharpton

I don't see why the guy should be fired..it actually makes me laugh at the idea that saying nappy headed ho's on a show that is basically commentary on the world and just about everything else--also his show is really dull- is so retarded. The only people he should apologize to are His listeners and the girls on the team.

I mean the guy didn't even call them ni**ers. Then I could see him being fired. Bill O'Reilly/Sean Hannity's shows says a bunch of biggoted crap but no one demands their ouster...they just think they are idiots.

Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson fighting the good fight...Martin Luther King would be proud.

Agree/Disagree/PC gone to far?
Old 04-09-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Don Imus vs. Black America?

CDS,

Given his history, I don't think its a stretch to call the remark clearly racist.

I also think that the way he's turned a complete 180 about making the remark is pretty despicable. Right after he made it and was questioned, he basically dismissed the criticism, saying it was just a joke, and now he wants to meat with Sharpton for a personal apology? Its an obvious, desperate attempt to save his job, and I don't think its in any way sincere. I'd rather he be honest about his intentions and accept the consequences than make some simpering, groveling-in-the-dirt speech. He's not sorry he made the comment, and I think he should be fired. The guy is old as dirt, in any case; go enjoy your golden years, Imus.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:16 PM

I agree with this. If he said it, then owned up to it, fine, its the airwaves, let the consumers dictate whether he keeps his job or not, but saying he is sorry when its obv he isnt, is a bitch move. I dont agree though that he should lose his job just because Al Sharpton is the loudest voice though.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:17 PM

CDS,

Every now and again I'm flipping through channels in the morning and see Imus on MSNBC and think to myself, wow, that dude is still on the air!

In today's media age, I really don't understand why this is raising such a furor. Of course it was inappropriate and rude and somewhat racist, but it seems almost tame compared to lots of stuff in media/entertainment today.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Reston, Va.: What is your take on the Don Imus flap?

Michael Wilbon: I thought we'd get to this: I don't care whether Don Imus apologizes, or whether he's fired. Freedom of speech allows him to say whatever he wants to say. But I've got freedom of speech, as well, and I prefer to have the right to rip his face off in print and on TV for saying, repeatedly, the racially offensive stuff he says over and over and over and over. He compares blacks and Hispanics to apes all the time. ALL THE TIME. It's not rare, it's not an exception. It's not a one-time deal. ALL THE TIME. He and the people in his studio act as if all Blacks are pimps and whores and all have gold teeth and are illiterate...I'm glad I'm guaranteed the right to come right back at a bigot of this level and say whatever I want to say...And I'm happy to go toe-to-toe. Happy to.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-10-2007, 12:54 AM

Default Re: It will come down to $.

what he said was racist and i could understand cbs taking him off the air. i found it offensive and i am white. however, what he said was not as bad as a lot of things that are often said on the radio. clearly sharpton and others are using this as a chance get attention. sharpton is dangerous and not very bright, and will take any opportunity he can to get attention. i don't think most people take sharpton very seriously.

it will all come down to the price; does imus bring in enough money to put up with the negative publicity, and will his advertisers stand by him. cbs is a public company, fiduciary obligations to the shareholders will make the decision.

however, i would likely fire him. i hate when humor that is racist and damages society (but that could be a separate thread).
Old 04-10-2007, 12:58 AM

he got suspended for 2 weeks.
I didnt know anything about him...didnt realize he has a history for saying racially offensive stuff on the air.

Of course Howard Stern says tons of racial stuff and i love Howard Stern..but maybe its just the tone he uses it in.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:09 AM

yes howard stern does. however, he says it about everyone, every group, and often about himself. i think it is clear listening to stern that he is not a racist. i am not defending him, but i too enjoy him.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:10 AM

jesse jackson is not the president of black people
Old 04-10-2007, 01:24 AM

Consider who it is that Imus attacked and degraded: A girls college basketball team. Are you serious?

With all of the public targets available to bash for their behavior, Imus elects to blast a bunch of name-less female college atheletes for their appearance. So low and racist.

It'll be interesting to see how severely he is ultimately punished for this. I have no problem with firing him.
Closed Thread