Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 01:39 PM

Default (TP) Raising with flush draws

Hi all, I am kind new to the micro stakes board and tables. I used to play higher but went busto, now I am trying to learn the game from the bottom up, really working on core skills so I can keep building as a player as I move up.

I would like to hear your thoughts regarding flush draws and when you should/n't raise with them. I have a few different situations:

1) Nut FD, in position
You raise PF in the CO with a hand like A8 suited, flop a FD on an unpaired, uncoordinated board. villain(s) bet into you.

2) Nut FD, OOP. This time UTG with A10 suited, 2 callers. Same type of flop. When do you lead, when do you c/r, etc.

Assume villain is unknown, 6 max tables, 25NL-100NL. Standard bets from villains.

I realize this can be a very vague question, with many different situations that can occur, I am trying to give my best examples, please feel free to post your own of when you think raising with a FD is correct.

My thoughts:

Heads up, I am almost always raising with a FD, or betting if I am OOP. Because it is heads up, I would rather win the pot right there then let it come blank, blank and not have anything. When in a multiway pot, I think calling bets with a FD can be good because the pot will be big enough by the river to allow you to push if you hit your hand.

Against short stacks, I almost always pot it or overpot it.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:00 AM

Default Re: (TP) Raising with flush draws

1) hu, in position. I think both raising and calling are fine here. Raising is good because it gets you a bigger pot in case you hit on turn and should buy you a free go at the river if you want. And it gives you the initiative in the hand.

2) Draws oop, I hate them. As I see it, if you raise here you're comitted to open shove any turn, miss of hit. And by calling it's gonna be quite hard to get paid because we're oop.

25nl-100nl. I think that's a bad range because 25nl is like kindergarten compared to 100nl. The aggression levels are subsantially different. But generally, I'd be much more inclined to raise the higher we are, because the players are so much more aggressive and could be betting with a wide variety of hands.

Against shorties I'd rather check, because they're not going to fold often enough IME and they'll pay me off more often than not.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:04 AM

Default Re: (TP) Raising with flush draws

Also, I'd much rather have a non-nutflushdraw when I raise, because by raising we can fold out a dreaded bigger flushdraw. But if I have a nutflushdraw, I'd obviously want lower flush draws hanging in there.