Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 01:33 AM

Default So looks like I can\'t fold aces or kings... how bad is that?

2 hands where I showdown AA and KK in hopeless looking situations. Where should I be ducking out here?

PokerStars 10/20 Hold'em (6 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (13.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB

PokerStars 10/20 Hold'em (6 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB :#A500AF(Reshef )/ 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, SB :#A500AF(Reshef )/ calls.

Flop: (16 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Reshef bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP calls, Reshef folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

Turn: (13.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (16.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB
Old 11-08-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Re: So looks like I can\'t fold aces or kings... how bad is that?

the KK hand is an awful call on the river. AA aint so bad.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:58 PM

KK: Folding the turn is possible as your outs look pretty soft. Once BB checks the river the busted flush draw is exposed and his hand is almost certainly no threat to either of you. I think you have to call one more given you are effectively HU in a huge pot.

AA: Bet the turn. I'm sure someone is drawing but it's probably the flush. The straight seems unlikely.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:31 PM

When I was reading these last night, they didnt seem very bad. In the KK hand you have to call the turn obv, and with the unexpected river action, a call seems reasonable, but it sure does look like UTG smooth called the turn with Tx to keep you in while he believes he could be chopping...

In the AA hand, its also really reasonable to showdown, but I dont understand the turn check. The only othe player to show aggression on the flop raised UTG, so you cant be worried about a straight from him. If MP happens to have a 7 with his flush draw, then whatever, if he called 3 cold on the flop with 7x and no flush draw, then god bless him.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:36 PM

Hand 1

I would find a fold on the river at least, I dont really like the flop play either but its pretty hard to see exactly where you stand without the 3-bet (without some solid reads) so meh.

Hand 2

Urgh.. I dont know if I could find a fold anywhere there given the preflop action.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I was reading these last night, they didnt seem very bad. In the KK hand you have to call the turn obv, and with the unexpected river action, a call seems reasonable, but it sure does look like UTG smooth called the turn with Tx to keep you in while he believes he could be chopping...

In the AA hand, its also really reasonable to showdown, but I dont understand the turn check. The only othe player to show aggression on the flop raised UTG, so you cant be worried about a straight from him. If MP happens to have a 7 with his flush draw, then whatever, if he called 3 cold on the flop with 7x and no flush draw, then god bless him.

[/ QUOTE ]

AA: so are you advocating bet/call/SD? or bet/fold?

in my experience in this spots I always 'feel' like I'm beat, I always c/c down, and I'm almost always beat. If not by 87 then by some crappy 2 pair or a set. People will coldcall 2 with suited cards all the time these days...

KK: I don't want to be results oriented, but I was actually ahead on the turn and got rivered this hand. This makes me feel like I shouldn't have been considering a turn fold, but then I'm pretty much locked into a river call.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:56 PM

7c6c ?
Old 11-09-2007, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

in my experience in this spots I always 'feel' like I'm beat, I always c/c down, and I'm almost always beat. If not by 87 then by some crappy 2 pair or a set. People will coldcall 2 with suited cards all the time these days...

KK: I don't want to be results oriented, but I was actually ahead on the turn and got rivered this hand. This makes me feel like I shouldn't have been considering a turn fold, but then I'm pretty much locked into a river call.

[/ QUOTE ]

If MP raises your bet and UTG's call, I'd be pretty convinced he has you beat... I didnt really consider 87 when I typed that out... I dont really know whats best
Old 11-09-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
7c6c ?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah
Old 11-09-2007, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If MP raises your bet and UTG's call, I'd be pretty convinced he has you beat... I didnt really consider 87 when I typed that out... I dont really know whats best

[/ QUOTE ]

bet/call turn, and the check/fold river if UTG calls turn? I lose as much as I did in the hand but prevent freecards / maybe fold outs. But then if I ever did lay down the winner on the river I'd probably hurt myself... but meh that might be the best plan.