Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Big draw on turn rr pot $200NL

When someone makes a weird and fishy play like reraising preflop and then checking the flop, I like to check it right back to them unless I've got a real monster or some reason to believe they really are giving up.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Still kinda new to HU. PF, flop ok? What about turn? We're early in the match. He's 3 bet me once and I folded. The only real hand we've played so far was when he opened the button, I called and c/r'ed a T96 two-heart board, led a blank turn, and shoved a K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] river and he folded.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Hold'em Cash Game
$1/$2 Blinds
2 Players
LegoPoker HH Converter

<font color="black">Hero (SB): $281.50</font>
<font color="black">BB: $219.50</font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $6.00</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $18.00</font>, Hero calls $12.00

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($36) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $28.00</font>, SB calls $28.00

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($92) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $80.00</font>, Hero?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see the purpose in betting this flop. To make him give up AK/AQ/KQ? Most of the time someone reraises PF and then checks the flop, they are either trapping or they are in grit-my-teeth-and-call-down mode. Very rarely is an opponent going to surrender a reraised pot without a fight.

Given that you did bet the flop, the turn situation is ugly. An opponent who leads $80 here with less than a pair of aces is either extremely tricky, or crazy. I can't see shoving when your FE is probably about 5% at best. However, you are definitely priced in to call, and your straight outs are almost certainly good (villain's line makes no sense if he flopped a flush draw and turned a flush). If the river bricks, you obviously cannot call $100 with KJ high.

Villain showed you a bluff? Good, now you know a lot more about how he plays. I personally would not choose to play HU with someone who is capable of making this move on a stone cold bluff, unless I have reason to think they are on tilt. Done in cold blood, this bluff likely signifies a very dangerous opponent.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:51 PM

Here is an interesting question then. Say you have JJ in same spot. Are we 4 betting pf? Are we checking this flop? The answers to these questions are why it is important to discuss villan's range in this spot with his check behind.

I don't think we are 4 betting with JJ here pf given the history so far, and I think we are betting JJ-77 on this flop. Are we checking behind with JT, AT etc? If we are not then this bet on the flop is perfectly fine as it will augment our opponents perception of our range. In his mind we are not betting with KJos, or some kind of 55 type hand. That flop has hit nearly every single hand possible besides the ones just named, so his reaction will give us a stronger narrowing of his range.

So is he check calling AA/KK here? Seems very dangerous and unlikely. So we say AJ+ type hand is very probable. I believe if that is a significant part of his range, we should be betting this flop then. Doesn't seem like we have enough info on villain also to eliminate slow played sets though obv not correct in optimal play sense, it does not mean THIS VILLIAN would not slow play TT here.

Long post short, by checking this flop we are essentially giving up this pot albeit some interesting but unlikely turn cards, 9, spade. If we are giving up on these flops enough of the time, (im assuming we would have folded if he bet flop) this call preflop IS DEFINITIVELY BAD.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is an interesting question then. Say you have JJ in same spot. Are we 4 betting pf? Are we checking this flop? The answers to these questions are why it is important to discuss villan's range in this spot with his check behind.

I don't think we are 4 betting with JJ here pf given the history so far, and I think we are betting JJ-77 on this flop. Are we checking behind with JT, AT etc? If we are not then this bet on the flop is perfectly fine as it will augment our opponents perception of our range. In his mind we are not betting with KJos, or some kind of 55 type hand. That flop has hit nearly every single hand possible besides the ones just named, so his reaction will give us a stronger narrowing of his range.

So is he check calling AA/KK here? Seems very dangerous and unlikely. So we say AJ+ type hand is very probable. I believe if that is a significant part of his range, we should be betting this flop then. Doesn't seem like we have enough info on villain also to eliminate slow played sets though obv not correct in optimal play sense, it does not mean THIS VILLIAN would not slow play TT here.

Long post short, by checking this flop we are essentially giving up this pot albeit some interesting but unlikely turn cards, 9, spade. If we are giving up on these flops enough of the time, (im assuming we would have folded if he bet flop) this call preflop IS DEFINITIVELY BAD.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, you're exactly right. This is a good flop bet after villain's check, if hero would also bet AT, KT, QT, JT, JJ, 99 etc. Which he would. If hero gets c/r'd he can fold with some confidence.

So as played, bet flop, call turn, fold river is a very reasonable line. Villain is repping an ace and we have no reason to think he doesn't have one. I would only reiterate that I would much rather play one of the thousands of loose/passive HU fish than this villain.