Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy

Old 11-04-2007, 03:41 PM

Default 16$ : QQ, overpair on a very drawy flop

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB (t3780)
Hero (t1955)
UTG+1 (t4185)
MP1 (t1345)
MP2 (t1975)
MP3 (t630)
CO (t2885)
Button (t2135)
SB (t1405)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, UTG+1 calls t150, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls t150, Button calls t150, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t100.

Flop: (t775) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t500</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t4035</font>, CO calls t2735 (All-In), Button folds, BB folds, Hero calls t1305 (All-In).

Turn: (t9350) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t9350) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t8050
Old 11-04-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Re: 16$ : QQ, overpair on a very drawy flop

I hate calling this, and even more so, betting it. I would c/f the flop here. If you check the flop, and it gets checked around to a diamond turn, then you can bet/shove, but when you bet and then get raised all in, with a caller to that shove by UTG+1, I would fold this and lick my wounds of losing a good portion of my stack. You're drawing to a diamond with action like that, and probably drawing dead assuming one has the A diamonds or K of diamonds, and with the 5, one of them probably has a 7 or 2.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate calling this, and even more so, betting it. I would c/f the flop here. If you check the flop, and it gets checked around to a diamond turn, then you can bet/shove, but when you bet and then get raised all in, with a caller to that shove by UTG+1, I would fold this and lick my wounds of losing a good portion of my stack. You're drawing to a diamond with action like that, and probably drawing dead assuming one has the A diamonds or K of diamonds, and with the 5, one of them probably has a 7 or 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why not betting at all is better than a b/f on this flop. It is a scary flop for you, but it also missed everyone calling with high cards. Why not bet and fold to a shove?
Old 11-04-2007, 04:02 PM

i'd like results here and wouldnt be surprised if a pair of fives won the hand
Old 11-04-2007, 04:04 PM

K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2007, 04:08 PM

I think I bet/call this, spewy?
Fold to two pushes, though.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:12 PM

b/f, its a weak play but most likely the correct play
Old 11-04-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why not betting at all is better than a b/f on this flop. It is a scary flop for you, but it also missed everyone calling with high cards. Why not bet and fold to a shove?

[/ QUOTE ]

I play it tightly and just check it. You have 2 people left to act behind you, I doubt all four players will have high cards here. One is going to have a flush (draw), Ace of diamonds, OESD or gutshot may bet here. Just too many hands are going to bet out into this flop, that your bet is almost guaranteed to be raised/shoved all in, and you only lose chips that way..so I would just c/f.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:23 PM

c/f can't be good. People will think 8d8x is the nuts here.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:37 PM

Ouch. Tough flop for your queens. My two cents:

I would bet the flop, although I'd probably make it half the pot. It's enough to see if anyone is interested in playing, and if they are you are probably out of luck.

The UTG raise sounds like A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] to me. I could see a made straight doing this, but I don't see many people calling with that hand pre-flop. The other option is a low pair - either trips or a pair of 5s, and he's hoping to push people out of the pot with one [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Against the one player only, I'm not sure if I make the call or not, but I think I'd wait for a better spot to get my chips in.

With the call by the CO, I don't see how you can call. He possibly has a made flush and you're drawing almost dead. It's possible he's an idiot with a draw, but you didn't post any reads so I think we have to assume he knows something about the game.

I think you have to dump this instead of calling the all-in.