Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 12:54 AM

Default AJo 5$ NL, Top pair facing action

This is not my first post on 2+2, I've just been busy with school for a while. I've was a successful fairly high stakes limit player in the past, but since the legislation I figured I should learn NL more. I'm starting in the micro's and have run into some plays where I'm just not sure what to do but what would be obvious for me in a limit game. Here's one of them.

I had just beaten villain in a fairly large pot calling his reraise on the turn down with top pair to his underpair. So he's capable of making large continuation bets and bluffs. I would love general information on these types of situations too, so I can have these basics down for when I move up. Any advice is appreciated.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (9 handed) handconverter.com

CO ($6)
Button ($10.81)
SB ($5.69)
BB ($1.75)
UTG ($10)
UTG+1 ($7.13)
Hero ($12.25)
MP2 ($8.26)
MP3 ($15.69)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.07.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.16</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls $0.16, <font color="#CC3333">CO (poster) raises to $0.3</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.14, MP3 calls $0.14.

Flop: ($0.99) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $0.8</font>, Hero ?

I was thinking of a check raise on this flop, but would leading out been better?

Btw, it seems like his range here is AK, KK-TT? Something in that area?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:44 AM

Default Re: AJo 5$ NL, Top pair facing action

if that is his range fold preflop. as played always lead this flop. Folding is fine if you are raised.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:52 AM

don't lead flop. If your range is correct fold preflop. Definitely don't check/raise the flop.

I would probably check/call flop and check/fold turn. Which is why I'd fold preflop because its impossible to play AJo postflop here unless ur willing to stackoff on this board or at least play a fairly large pot.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:06 AM

Yeah, I knew this was going to be hard to play postflop. However, I was almost positive MP3 was coming along, most likely with absolutely nothing, which was giving me pretty good odds to see a flop. Would you suggest folding to his minraise preflop? That seems a little tight. I don't think not raising preflop is an option here either..unless my limit play is clouding my judgement.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:09 AM

I don't play full ring but raising preflop seems fine.

The problem postflop is that there's too much guessing OOP to make calling good.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:14 AM

limit play is exactly what is clouding your judgment. In limit, the final pot isn't as great in comparison with the preflop pot size so you can play speculative hands that are 2:1 behind and profit with solid postflop play. In no limit the pot will be exponential to the preflop pot. This is why putting your opponent on a range preflop in order to determine whether to call preflop or fold is essential.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:27 AM

So, following your advice slush, how would I play this hand?
Old 11-26-2007, 02:52 AM

Fold preflop, you're too easily dominated, and hands he will 3-bet you with have you badly beat.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:43 AM

Well I ended up folding on the flop and wishing I had have folded preflop. Thanks for the input.