Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 10-01-2007, 07:38 PM

Default LO8, Optimum way to get maximum value out of strong made hands.

I'm looking for ways to get more value out of my strong made hands. In the example below, I flop top set and get raised. Against an unknown opponent, would I get more value by just calling here and then ramming/jamming on the turn in hopes of pulling my opponent along until we get to the big bet rounds? Or should I start ramming and jamming immediately?

I know that in general giving free cards and/or pulling opponents along in Omaha8 is an ill-advised idea. However, if there is only one low card on a dry flop, and I have a strong made hand, could stringing the opponent along be an acceptable approach?

Pokerstars
Limit Omaha Ring game
Limit: $2/$4
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP3 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, 2 folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (10.5SB, 5 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, 3 folds, Hero ????
Old 10-01-2007, 07:54 PM

Default Re: LO8, Optimum way to get maximum value out of strong made hands.

Giant Fan - Good post.

Interesting question.

I certainly would want to re-raise.

However, I don't know what will happen if you do re-raise the flop. Will CO read you for what you have and back off on the turn or not?

I think it depends a lot on how CO perceives you.

However, in general I'd re-raise here.

Buzz
Old 10-01-2007, 10:22 PM

get more value out of my strong made hands

The main thing is to bet enough other hands and situations that people can't easily get a lot of information from your rare 3-bets/raises.
I would definitely 3-bet the hand you show, although it does have two low cards and you may not be ahead (in terms of overall equity) in the hand.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:50 AM

In the example you give calling would clearly be correct against a standard opponent.

If you can get two big bets in on a clean turn card that is way more valuable than an extra small bet on the flop where your equity won't be near as good against his range.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:35 AM

Because the CO's likely feeling you out, hoping you cbet with a 'busted' A2xx. I think 3-betting the flop is good, but then slow down if the turn's a 4 especially, though 5 might be bad to.

The problem is that CO could have something like 532dKd, where the made Lo + flush draw, becomes a nice free-roll against your hand. Similar Hi hand wrap possibilties, could have tempted the CO to make a free card play. It could also be 2nd set Q's with a better Lo draw than yours.

Argues to me, to get the money in whilst you can, and bet/call turn unless you can narrow their raising hand down, in which case check/call on a scare card.

Near this level, I have had 1 or 2 opponents make good free card plays on the flop, most often it's an opponent trying to isolate me and hoping I've A2xx and cbet.

Another hand that happened, I flopped a full house + good Lo draw, and faced unexpected aggressive raises. The Fishy opponent was on a wheel str8 draw + Lo draw (didn't care about A's full possibility), and caught runner-runner cards to scoop me both ways!
Old 10-02-2007, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, if there is only one low card on a dry flop, and I have a strong made hand, could stringing the opponent along be an acceptable approach?

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally disagree with calling in the hand you posted against a standard opponent. In fact, I think calling with the nuts here is terrible, and the hand meets none of the characteristics you described above:

1) this is not a dry board at all.
2) a set is not a made hand on a board with this many draws that beat it.
3) you can't be guaranteed to get 2 bets in on the turn because you're out of position. if he's drawing he could check behind on a blank turn. admittedly, this is going to be a tough hand to play out of position when certain turn or river cards come, but that's not a good argument to get fancy on the flop.
4) it's heads-up.
5) at low limits the default move should be to play straight ahead. let this guy pound back all day with an underset or 2 pair, instead of seeing monsters under the bed in the form of huge draws that haven't come in yet. yes the turn might be the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], but it also might pair the board or be as close to a blank as this board allows (a black 9 or something).