Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 02-14-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Stud/8 - When all the lows brick on fourth street

I've been thinking about this for a while now and I'm not sure how to approach it. I find this scenario very hard to contemplate because I can't figure out how my opponents will play.

Let's say that there are three players in after third street who all appear to be going low. They could have a pair, but a three-card low is their most likely hand. And they all catch a high card on fourth street.

Do you normally see players bet here? If a player bets, how often is your intial read of a three-card low wrong? When should you call or even raise? If both players check to you, should you bet? Is there value in betting if you know that one player will fold and one will call?
Old 02-14-2007, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Stud/8 - When all the lows brick on fourth street

It's a tricky spot to be sure. Usually it checks around, but I often wonder if there's value in whoever catches the highest brick to bet (and/or if you have an Ace in the hole). If someone does bet, I usually think they're FOS but then I also look at my hand and see how awful it is at that point and that there usually aren't that many great cards I can then catch on 5th Street.

If you know you can get one player to fold, there's probably value in betting 4th but a lot will be riding on what you both catch on 5th. I almost certainly wouldn't do it against known calling stations though.

If you're the bring-in, you're more likely to get away with it since you'll obviously have a more random hand. Against observant opponents they could easily think that stinky Jack you just caught actually did help you.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:58 PM

Depends on how much of a caller they are. If you know you're not getting anyone to fold, then don't bet if you're not sure that you have more than your share of pot equity. If you think you'll get one to fold then bet if you have a potential 2-way hand (preferably the current best high hand). Keep in mind that betting is always better than check-calling, so if you have a hand that you'd call if someone else bet, then bet out yourself. Give good things a chance to happen.

Another decent strategy is checking with the intention of check-raising if you check, the next guy checks and the last guy bets - this will virtually guarantee you get rid of the guy in the middle with your check-raise. Just be wary of those calling station fish who tend to limp in with a lot of brick pair hands - since you're putting a lot of chips into a small pot, you don't want to find you're way behind up against a pair of tens. This play is best against the tighter players who will fold when they brick 4th (and never call a bet or check-raise in a small pot without a premium hand).

Another more conservative way is to try to guestimate the hands where you have more than 33% in pot equity vs. their likely current holdings and bet when you do and check/fold when you don't. (i.e. you have Ace, 8, baby, rag and they have 2, 3, 7, K and a king is dead, then you're well ahead, so a bet is in order)

It depends so much on how your opponents play - that's the biggest factor.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:55 AM

If I have started with a three-card low and hit a banana on fourth, I check and fold to a bet. Doesn't matter if the other guy has a banana showing as well. If offered a free card, I take it.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I have started with a three-card low and hit a banana on fourth, I check and fold to a bet. Doesn't matter if the other guy has a banana showing as well. If offered a free card, I take it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you consider playing on if you make a 3-flush on 4th and your suit is live? I've been wondering if that gives you just enough of a draw to see 5th cheaply.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you consider playing on if you make a 3-flush on 4th and your suit is live?

[/ QUOTE ]

I will usually play on if it's not too expensive.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:07 AM

457T is a lot different than A35K in this situation. If everyone bricks, think about where your hand likely currently stands for high and act accordingly.