Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 10-30-2007, 12:08 PM

Default Question for Pro Online Grinders

Recently I have been trying to play 2500 hands of Mid-Stakes NL during the day and also spend an hour at the gym. I have tried out a bunch of different schedules but I dont know what is best.

Originally my schedule looked like this

10 AM Wake Up

10 to 11:30 - Get Breakfast, drink some english breakfast Tea, Shower

11:30 to 1 PM - Play 750 hands or so

1PM - 3PM - Gym, lunch

3PM - 4:30 - Play 750 hands

BREAK

Rest Of day - try to get in as many hands as I can before I do something at night

LATELY I have tried to change this schedule by going to the gym first.

I have also tried to do the gym after I play all my hands...

What do u guys think is the best formula for energy, focus, high performance all-around etc
Old 10-30-2007, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Question for Pro Online Grinders

Also what kind of things do u guys do during sessions to keep u alert?
Old 10-30-2007, 02:00 PM

Hey!

My schedule is this:

8AM wake-up - protein shake

8'30 stretching exercises

9AM breakfast

9'30 Vitamin pack

9'30 - 11'30 POKER

11'30 - creatine

12 - GYM (protein shake just at the end)

13'30 - LUNCH (meat and vegetables)

14-17 - non poker related

17'30 - CARDIO (tennis / bike)

19'30 - dinner (fruit based, salads, low on protein)

20-23 - POKER (with fruits and juices)

Feel free to ask more!
Old 10-30-2007, 02:48 PM

Why do u take the 3 hour break in the middle? Do u do this 5 days a week? Seems like u dont leave enough time for social activities during the week, but I guess that is to each his own.

Do u usually feel alert during your night session? Do u snack while playing? If so what do u usually eat?
Old 10-30-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do u take the 3 hour break in the middle? Do u do this 5 days a week? Seems like u dont leave enough time for social activities during the week, but I guess that is to each his own.

Do u usually feel alert during your night session? Do u snack while playing? If so what do u usually eat?

[/ QUOTE ]

I take the 3 hour break because it's after a high-intensity workout and a big protein based meal - lunch, and my mental focus i lowered in that interval due to recovery / digestion, so i don't find it appropriate for poker.

I go to the gym 4/7 and do cardio 6/7. I enjoy both very much. Related to social activites, i meet with friends every weekend, and some days we shoot some billiards in the afternoon (between lunch and cardio), and of course, tennis.
And yes, i do keep this schedule. I am very disciplined. Chaos in life makes me sad and i cannot do anything right without a schdule to follow. I rarely go to clubs. I used to have a very disorganized lifestyle until i reached an "i've had it" moment.
I'm 24, used to have a long term relationship (around 9 months) but i could not give her enough time so we split. I felt like she was standing in my way and slowed my progress. Maybe next year i'll consider a long time relationship.

I am very alert. I play 3 tables on average (3.2 PT multitavle ratio). Used to play 8, but after some consideration i had chosen quality to quantity.
I eat a lot of fruits and drink plenty of water and fresh juice during sessions.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:39 PM

Cool, I really appreciate your responses. What do u think about my schedule?

I often play 20 minutes after my lunch, is that bad?

I play 6 tables usually which I dont think I am gonna change.

Any thoughts on doing my workout first thing in the morning after a shake or whatever?
Old 10-30-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cool, I really appreciate your responses. What do u think about my schedule?

I often play 20 minutes after my lunch, is that bad?

I play 6 tables usually which I dont think I am gonna change.

Any thoughts on doing my workout first thing in the morning after a shake or whatever?

[/ QUOTE ]
Your schedule is similar to mine (apart from waking up hour). You play after breakfast and GYM. If you find that you can concentrate after lunch and just play your A game, that's good. I cannot do that, and also do not wish to. I do brain relaxing / low demand kind of activities.
I told you i play fewer tables. I am focusing on increasing my W$WSF stat (improving my play postflop). I do table selection. When i played 8 tables i was more like a robot, so i couldn't take notes on players, couldn't win more than my fair share of pots and improved my game very slowly. My goal is to play HSNL asap so i can compensate for not playing very many tabels and hours.
But some players have no problems playing 8-12 tables. Good for them, congrats to you if you fall in this category. It's just not me.

I do not advice you to do workout in the morning. I spent a lot of time researching this and i found out it's better around noon. You can search for information, there's plenty out there. The main ideea is to be very energized when you hit the gym and leave wanting to rest [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 10-30-2007, 06:46 PM

on an ideal day:

get up around 10:30

eat breakfast, put in about 1000 hands(4-6 tabling, usually 6)

run errands(grocery shopping, bank, screw around, etc)

eat lunch(about 2-3pm), put in another 1000 hands or so

hit the gym around 6:30-7pm or so

eat dinner around 8:30 then either relax at home the rest of the night or meet up with friends or hang out with some chick im dating

there are usually a couple bars or shakes thrown in there to where im pretty much eating something every 3 hours or so
Old 10-30-2007, 11:20 PM

I think you hurt yourself quite a bit by only playng 750 hand sessions. I think a lot of my edge comes from playing longer sessions with the same players and using information better than them. Particularly setting them up or getting them thinking certain things and then exploiting them. I would definitely try to play a longer sessions even though its a little more taxing and annoying.

Maybe get a few krumpets with your tea too?
Old 10-31-2007, 12:02 AM

I do MTT play so i end up getting up and playing 8 hours straight. I think i need to create a more strict schedule like you guys have because i'm starting to get lazy again.