Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 07:01 AM

Default I don\'t understand position. Please help.

Hello all. I do not understand the importance of position. For instance. Suppose I am on the button and I raise preflop and get three callers. The flop comes, the others check and then I raise. Surely I letting myself open to people who hit big on the flop and check raise since they know I raised pre-flop and see me as the agressor?

Also I just don't generally get the concept of position. Can some people give me concrete examples of how position helps me.

Thanks all. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2007, 07:33 AM

Default Post deleted by Ryan Beal

Old 08-01-2007, 07:40 AM

Default Re: I don\'t understand position. Please help.

Eh?

Anyway, I've thought a bit more about this and realised if UTG raises and some call and others fold and you're last to act then by calling you have no fear of further raises that round and so know exactly how much money it costs to see the turn.

Is there anything else?
Old 08-01-2007, 07:43 AM

Any book will tell you all you need to know about position and much, much more....Sklansky's TOP or Harrington on Hold'em - these are a must to any beginner.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:57 AM

The earlier the position in general the less a starting hand is worth. If you read any Holdem book it will explain this. The general concept may be expressed as "the later a starting hand is in position the more money on average it is worth!"

Note there are exceptions to every rule - including this one.

There are three types of hand those of negative EV when on average you will always expect to lose money - about half the hands fall into this category. Those of positive EV where on average you will always expect to win money - about an eighth of the hands fall into this category. Those of mixed EV where on average you may sometimes expect to win money and sometimes expect to lose money depending on position - about three eighths of hands fall into this category.

The third category of hand make more money in late than early position. The small and big blind are different, but there are many starting hands that you expect would lose money UTG and would make money on the button.

Nearly all hand posts in the forums are about this precise point.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:26 AM

^ But WHY are those cards worth more in later position? Can someone give me a concrete example and explain it.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:56 AM

Because a high card hand like AJ can get more callers dimishing it's high card value (high cards play better agains few people) and connectors like 67s is more likely get raised reducing your chances of getting to see the flop for cheap.

It's also easier to extract money in late position because you can raise other people's hands or just call their raises. if you were first to speak with a monster then you'd be more likely to have to bet first in case it got checked around. It gives you more choices and more information.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:41 AM

Later position = more information = easier decisions = +EV.
Position is probably MORE important than the cards you get dealt in Texas Hold'em.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:04 AM

A concrete example is any hand you want to play. In early position, any one of the players may raise the betting.

In late position you can actually SET THE PRICE. The only exception is the blinds preflop and the only time you may be raised.

Think of it in terms of running a business - in late position you are dictating the costs of running your business, in early position your opponents are dictating your costs. What position would you rather be in!!!
Old 08-01-2007, 10:33 AM

On a VERY superficial level, generally you want to be putting raising, putting money in the pot, with the best hand. In a full ring game, if you are first to act, you have nine other hands that could be better than yours. If you are on the button, you only have two hands you have to be better than. Take AJo, for instance. Only about 7.5% of all hands are better than AJo. If you are first to act, there are nine hands each of which has a 7.5% chance of being better than you. 9 X 7.5% = 67.5%, so the likelihood that you are raising when there is still a better hand to act is high. However, if you have AJo on the button, it is folded to you, now there are only two hands left to act. 2 X 7.5% = 15%, so you are highly likely to be raising with the best hand. Hence AJo = not so good UTG, but very good on the button.

The great thing about poker is that is just the very beginning of the analysis of position. Read and learn.