Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Zeitgeist part I - \"The Greatest Story Ever Told\" (Christianity,et

I watched the video once.
Very fascinated at first. I watched the whole thing before pondering its validity, and most of the ideas seemed logical, though likely to be a stretch. Then I read all the replies and actually started looking for evidence.

The audio clip with the author was a bit long-winded and rambly BUT it did kind of seem like the guy did some homework about this stuff. Yet to check up on all of his references, and I'm not sure I'm going to take the time to do that, but I just thought I'd mention that he did sound somewhat legit. Passionate, a little TOO excessive with some stuff, (but that's prolly normal because this is his "crusade" or what-have-you.)

I'm currently watching Z a second time.

From Phil's first response to OP:
[ QUOTE ]
Do you have independent proof of the claims about the God Horus? Specifically it's claimed that he shared many of the tales of Jesus. While it's true that Jesus shared some mythology with other Gods/legends of the time, the Horus Wikipedia page makes no mention of these with regard to Horus, and in fact the story appears to be inconsistent with the video.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a legitimate concern, but the video (and wiki, really) seem to work around this. Here's some stuff from
Wiki:

Horus
Egyptian Mytho
<font color="blue"> and his earliest connections are to the sky and kingship </font>
<font color="blue"> </font> <font color="blue"> Because the cult of Horus survived for the whole of the Ancient Egyptian civilization he gained many forms and associations.</font>
(quotes in blue)

Albeit I don't see the 25th of December on the wiki page or an explicit Jesus-Horus link. The whole idea can still remain consistent and plausible to me. Not like "ZOMG CONSPIRACY" but, heck, it does make some interesting points.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Zeitgeist part I - \"The Greatest Story Ever Told\" (Christianity,et

[ QUOTE ]
I watched the video once.
Very fascinated at first. I watched the whole thing before pondering its validity, and most of the ideas seemed logical, though likely to be a stretch. Then I read all the replies and actually started looking for evidence.

The audio clip with the author was a bit long-winded and rambly BUT it did kind of seem like the guy did some homework about this stuff. Yet to check up on all of his references, and I'm not sure I'm going to take the time to do that, but I just thought I'd mention that he did sound somewhat legit. Passionate, a little TOO excessive with some stuff, (but that's prolly normal because this is his "crusade" or what-have-you.)

I'm currently watching Z a second time.

From Phil's first response to OP:
[ QUOTE ]
Do you have independent proof of the claims about the God Horus? Specifically it's claimed that he shared many of the tales of Jesus. While it's true that Jesus shared some mythology with other Gods/legends of the time, the Horus Wikipedia page makes no mention of these with regard to Horus, and in fact the story appears to be inconsistent with the video.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a legitimate concern, but the video (and wiki, really) seem to work around this. Here's some stuff from
Wiki:

Horus
Egyptian Mytho
<font color="blue"> and his earliest connections are to the sky and kingship </font>
<font color="blue"> </font> <font color="blue"> Because the cult of Horus survived for the whole of the Ancient Egyptian civilization he gained many forms and associations.</font>
(quotes in blue)

Albeit I don't see the 25th of December on the wiki page or an explicit Jesus-Horus link. The whole idea can still remain consistent and plausible to me. Not like "ZOMG CONSPIRACY" but, heck, it does make some interesting points.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Excellent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 07-27-2007, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Excellent.

[/ QUOTE ]
You applaud when someone gets false information?

There is zero historical basis for many of the claims of the Jesus-Horus link made in this video.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I couldn't care less about 'scholarly' or not. There is a lot of crap coming out of the 'scientific' community, and it's always better to make up your own mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seriously think it is better to "make up your own mind" using purported facts listed on a site like www.jesusneverexisted.com over professional academicians' and historians' reasearch and opinions?

I could understand your disdain for the "crap" coming out of the scientific community if you are somehow doing the original research yourself, and you find out using first hand knowledge that other scientists are likely wrong. But "making up your own mind" by the source you listed, and preferring them OVER the perspective of professionals is really really dumb unless you have a compelling reason. Wanting "your" website to be true because you think the opinion is really cool (and you like how they present dubious information as facts) is not a good reason, by the way. Especially when it is at the expense of real research.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I couldn't care less about 'scholarly' or not. There is a lot of crap coming out of the 'scientific' community, and it's always better to make up your own mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seriously think it is better to "make up your own mind" using purported facts listed on a site like www.jesusneverexisted.com over professional academicians' and historians' reasearch and opinions? ... But "making up your own mind" by the source you listed, and preferring them OVER the perspective of professionals is really really dumb unless you have a compelling reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. See, atheists &amp; theists can agree on certain things!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2007, 01:32 PM

blasphemy

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

- The Torah barely mentions Jesus

[/ QUOTE ]

The Torah does not mention Jesus at all. There is one story about him in the Gemara.

As i understand it, Jesus, a known scholar, went into the temple where he was told the full name of god for prayer use. To avoid the typical instant amnesia that occurs when one exits the temple, Jesus wrote the name on paper and sowed the paper into his skin. After leaving the temple he used the name to fly and was only stopped by a Cohen Gadol who flew above him and urinated so the impurity forced Jesus to descend.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under this impression as well. If i recall it was also specific where he sowed it.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:16 PM

I know that a lot of "professional academians and historians" have their answers set, and will do anything to make sure that whatever they do fits to those answers.

Btw,

Are you religious? What is your religion and what do you believe in.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know that a lot of "professional academians and historians" have their answers set, and will do anything to make sure that whatever they do fits to those answers.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a good thing random internet sites and SMP posters would never do this. Good thing.