Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: To the death
Connor 24 55.81%
Croft 19 44.19%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: The Official 2007 Chicago Cubs Thread

You may be right, but MLB owners are a greedy bunch of SOB's. What is Cuban worth in extra publicity and fines? What is a successful Cubs franchise worth in extra ticket sales(already a huge road draw), TV revenues(more viewers=more ratings=more$$$ from advertisers), and merchandising(again, $$$)?

I realize the owners are a bunch bastard curmudgeons, but they are notorious for being stupid and greedy. Letting Cuban buy the Cubs qualifies as both on their part. He'll run wild and they know it, but they won't look past the cash.

As for A-Rod, who else is going to be willing to spend that kind of money on him? They could load the contract up on the back end (bad idea, but it's a "win now" mentality). Didn't A-Rod play for Piniella in Seattle? That's a reason for him to sign. As for new ownership, if they want to show they are committed to winning and make a big splash, there is no better way to do it.

And since when did a team being no good ever stop a free agent from signing a long term, mega million $ deal?
Old 10-05-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is zero chance ARod takes another big contract from another sad sack organisation. He was ready to tear up his deal to get out of Texas, he will choose a proven committed winning organisation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't A-Rod choose a proven committed winning organization when he went to the 27-TIME WORLD CHAMPION NEW YORK YANKEES? How's that worked out for him?

Also there's something to be said about a player who many fans believe is a choker/cooler may want to go to a major city who also has the notion surrounding them that they are also chokers and win a title they haven't won in a century. A-Rod wants to go somewhere that appreciates him and gives him a chance to win a ring or two. He left Texas because Texas could not get any players around him because they were handcuffed by his contract. If A-Rod signed with the Cubs, and in turn the Cubs won the WS, how big of a hero do you think A-Rod would be in Chicago?
Old 10-05-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What makes you think Pie is going to be a bust?

[/ QUOTE ]

Watching his ABs this year, his discipline sucks and lefties just have him completely baffled. His OPS drops off 600 points (!) in Iowa from right to left handers, and 400 points in Chicago.

I think he'd be a good fit for half a platoon, but is going to be too much of a liability otherwise.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:11 PM

Pie is only 22. Yes, he K's a lot and the walks aren't what you would like, but that doesn't mean he can't still be a .270-.290 hitter. Especially when you factor in the infield hits he can get with his speed. He's 6'2", so if he fills out as he gets older, there is no reason he can't be a 20 HR hitter as well. Plus the 30 or so SB's he's capable of. And he's got to time to learn lefties. They just need to let him play. Batting him 7th-8th as the everyday CF (don't forget his defense) next year would be the right move. Letting Pie play everyday is a lot better than overpaying for Hunter or Jones.

But this is the Cubs, and that Hendry guy...
Old 10-05-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Letting Pie play everyday is a lot better than overpaying for Hunter or Jones.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

His strikeout rate doesn't matter. His walk rate went from 0 to a JJ like degree of impatience. His defense should be vg in the field, and his power should be solid.

I know plate discipline isn't really a skill learned once players get this far, what about about ability to hit same-handed pitchers, does that ever really improve?
Old 10-05-2007, 07:52 PM

Pie could still improve his plate discipline. I am sure it will get a little better once he has seen more major league pitching, and once he stops trying to press. Then again, everyone said the same thing about Patterson.

As Pie sees more lefties, his ability to hit them should improve. I say should because it's still up to him to put in the time and effort to work on that part of his game. And again, I have to point out that everyone said the same thing about Patterson.

Of course, it's also possible that Pie could make up for not hitting lefties with his glove, but I don't know how he rates numbers wise vs. the other CFs in the league.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As for A-Rod, who else is going to be willing to spend that kind of money on him? They could load the contract up on the back end (bad idea, but it's a "win now" mentality).

[/ QUOTE ]

The Yankees, Red Sox and Angels are the likely bidders. The Yankees will likely win, in fact A-Rod is unlikely to opt out because the Yankees get $30M from Texas if they can sign A-Rod to an extension, so no one can outbid the Yankees.

[ QUOTE ]

Didn't A-Rod play for Piniella in Seattle? That's a reason for him to sign.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alex loves Sweet Lou, so that is one factor that will help the Cubs.

[ QUOTE ]
As for new ownership, if they want to show they are committed to winning and make a big splash, there is no better way to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's doubtful there will be new ownership in place before A-Rod's contract is done. Trying to get league approval of your purchase of the Cubs at the same time you announce signing A-Rod to an all time record contract is just asking to have the league reject you.

[ QUOTE ]

And since when did a team being no good ever stop a free agent from signing a long term, mega million $ deal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well A-Rod offered to give back $30M of his contract if Texas would trade him to the Red Sox, but the players union refused to allow it. Despite their post season failures, going to the Yankees puts A-Rod in the playoffs every year and he clearly won't go anywhere that can't promise the same.

If he opts out it will be to get a longer deal, and he'll likely be forced to sacrifice some annual salary to stretch his deal from 3 years to 6-8 years i.e. he's not likely to get $28M per year for even 6 years. If he waits until the end of this contract he'll be 34 years old and at risk of no longer being worth $25M a year on his next deal. So he'll be very happy with a 7 year/$25M per year deal replacing those three years since it gives him $91M more in guaranteed money.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:03 PM

Ugh, I hadn't really considered the new ownership thing taking a long time. That very well could cost the Cubs the opportunity. We'll probably get stuck with Hunter or Jones, and overpay in the process. I just can't get that thought out of my head.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pie could still improve his plate discipline. I am sure it will get a little better once he has seen more major league pitching, and once he stops trying to press. Then again, everyone said the same thing about Patterson.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he could, but that's not what you expect when someone moves from AAA to the majors. The consensus seems to be this just isn't a skill that's acquired this late in the game.

I'd like to see what the average drop off in statistics is from one level to another, for each individual stat.

Anyone have a link to something like this on BP or elsewhere?
Old 10-06-2007, 02:58 PM

omfg.

[ QUOTE ]
The manager has already made one adjustment to his lineup, announcing he will insert veteran catcher Jason Kendall over rookie Geovany Soto. Soto was 1-for-6 in the first two games, including a two-run homer in the second inning of Thursday's 8-4 loss.

Kendall is 11-for-31 (.355) in his career against Livan Hernandez, who will start Saturday for the Diamondbacks.

[/ QUOTE ]