Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: A player is cheated if his opponent ever calls the clock on him when the opponent has the nuts
Yes 0 0%
No 47 100.00%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Re: The Official NHL Playoffs Thread

1 Buffalo vs 8 New York Islanders

Buffalo in 6
Nolan will find a way to steal a couple, and I am the standard pessimistic Buffalo fan, who only pictures what could go wrong...Buffalo needs to crush there hopes in game 1 as quickly as possible like a nice 4-1 win!

2 New Jersey vs 7 Tampa Bay

New Jersey in 7
Every game will be close

3 Atlanta vs 6 New York Rangers

Rangers in 7
Expect a wild series in this one, with a blowout or 2 and some OTs in there

4 Ottawa vs 5 Pittsburgh

Ottawa in 6
Crosby can prove he has what it takes in the playoffs, but Pitt just too weak everywhere else (Def, Goal)

WEST

1 Detroit vs 8 Calgary

Detroit in 6
Mika gets hot hot its different story, Detroit is due to break out of its playoff funks

2 Anaheim vs 7 Minnesota

Anaheim 7
Probably one of the best series to watch, Minny is WAY better than the 7 seed

3 Vancouver vs 6 Dallas

Vancouver 5
Luongo vs Turco....need more be said

4 Nashville vs 5 San Jose
San Jose 6
Unless Nashvile has just been coasting along knowing they were in, San Jose should walk away with this one. Nashville is the best option as the team who makes a goalie change and gets hot though
Old 04-10-2007, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I guess it's because most of you guys are Easterners, but Minnesota is going to destroy the Ducks. The Wild can easily win the Cup. And this is coming from a Vancouver fan and I hate the Wild.

I thought my team was underrated.

Basically the Wild are the Devils but with Crosby and Malkin. That's not much of an exaggeration either.

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY? That's a huge exaggeration. Where's Martin Brodeur on that Wild team? Nicklas Backstrom? The Wild lack in both defense and goaltending.

As for Tuco - the Lightning have a 'huge edge' in forwards? Have you seen the rest of the guys they put out there past the Big 3? Elias, Gomez, and Gionta have had an off-year for sure - but considering they can get hot at any time, and that the Devils actually have 2 scoring lines and one excellent checking line - I can't see giving Tampa a huge edge.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And I will bump my point that the Predators are in the best position to win now - this was their year to go to for it. In the salary cap era, you cannot sit on your hands like Brian Burke is out in Anaheim - you MUST make moves when your team is a contender, or risk ending a winning cycle without the Stanley Cup. The Senators are in danger of this as well, and the Sabres too, though to a lesser extent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Burke made the biggest move of the year before the season n getting Pronger. He didn't need to make a major midseason move.

A pile of injuries in late Decmeber through January is the only thing that kept this team from winning the President's Trophy. Other than Todd Marchant, their #4 center, the Ducks are healthy right now.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A bunch of people have predicted Anaheim over Minnesota in 4 or 5 games.

I don't know what NHL you guys are watching, this should be a great series. The Wild are a completely different team with Gaborik back and with Backstrom/Harding in place of Fernandez. Don't let the seedings fool you.

Wild with Gaborik- 33-14
Wild without Gaborik- 15-20

[/ QUOTE ]

The Wild may be good, but the Ducks are one of the best, if not the best in the NHL when healthy.

With Niedermayer, Pronger, and Beauchemin: 41-12-11
Without any one of those 3: 7-8-3

Oh yeah, and former Conn Smythe winner Giguere is 36-10-8 this year, the 3rd best winning percentage in the league.

Amazingly from what I've seen, people are way underestimating the Ducks in a lot of places right now.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I guess it's because most of you guys are Easterners, but Minnesota is going to destroy the Ducks. The Wild can easily win the Cup. And this is coming from a Vancouver fan and I hate the Wild.

Basically the Wild are the Devils but with Crosby and Malkin. That's not much of an exaggeration either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. There's no way the Wild destroy the Ducks. First off, they absolutely suck on the road. Worst road record of any playoff team. No home ice advantage is going to hurt them.

Then, they aren't exactly superdeep offensively, as shown by their non-Gaborik record. #1 lines don't do well against the Ducks thanks to the R. Niedermayer-Pahlsson-Moen line being one of the best checking lines in the league. Gaborik and Demitra will play against those guys as much as possible. If they get through them, they need to get through Norris Torphy winners Niedermayer or Pronger. Then past Conn Smythe winner Giguere.

The key to beating the Ducks is to get production out of your 2nd and 3rd lines.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:33 PM

Old 04-10-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
....As for Tuco - the Lightning have a 'huge edge' in forwards? Have you seen the rest of the guys they put out there past the Big 3? Elias, Gomez, and Gionta have had an off-year for sure - but considering they can get hot at any time, and that the Devils actually have 2 scoring lines and one excellent checking line - I can't see giving Tampa a huge edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, in addition the Devils hold the easy advantage with special teams play... Devils are 4th in the NHL in penalty kill, Lighting is 28th... on the power play Lighting is 17th and the Devils are 23rd.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:42 PM

A really interesting chart that shows that the Ducks record actually doesn't show how good they truly were this year. Many of the Ducks losses came to non-playoff teams. Playing down to their competition or some such stuff. That's bad right? Well, not if you play your best hockey against playoff teams. This table shows the goal differential of the Western playoff teams only in games played amongst eachother. Look who's in first. Look who else is positive...wait, no one else is positive.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

holla.

see you in the conference finals. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY? That's a huge exaggeration. Where's Martin Brodeur on that Wild team? Nicklas Backstrom? The Wild lack in both defense and goaltending.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you say the Wild lack in defense and goal tending when they allowed fewer goals then any other team this year?

They also had the highest save percentage.