Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 11-30-2007, 06:42 AM

Default Re: Tales of the Grassroots: Ron Paul

[ QUOTE ]
Midge, as an Australian who is opposed to Bush's foreign policy, I'm confused why you so despise Ron Paul. He would put an end to the aggressive foreign policy. That's what you want, isn't it?

Even if you oppose the rest of his ideology, what difference does that make, since domestic US policies don't affect you. With all the barking you do about Bush and Iraq, who pray tell do you support more than the guy whose entire campaign is energized by the idea of changing foreign policy and bringing our troops home from everywhere in the world?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question, ALawPoker.

I think that who rules to roost in the US and its impact on the rest of the world is dependent on more than just the avowed foreign policies. I think we are much more interdependent than just merely based on foreign policies.

To me, Ron Paul is probably the most naive of the candidates I am aware of, in the US presidential race as it stands, from an economic viewpoint. So naive that it is worrying that he might even have been considered a candidate, although, in praise of the general US public he has not even be allowed, or at least has been limited, in his participation in public debates.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here in Raleigh NC, there are more signs for Ron Paul and any other candidate....by far. However, that might just be borodog's fault [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

He's doing pretty well with bumper stickers too though.

[/ QUOTE ]
Clearly this is a result of yard-sign spamming by a few bots.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-30-2007, 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Midge, as an Australian who is opposed to Bush's foreign policy, I'm confused why you so despise Ron Paul. He would put an end to the aggressive foreign policy. That's what you want, isn't it?

Even if you oppose the rest of his ideology, what difference does that make, since domestic US policies don't affect you. With all the barking you do about Bush and Iraq, who pray tell do you support more than the guy whose entire campaign is energized by the idea of changing foreign policy and bringing our troops home from everywhere in the world?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question, ALawPoker.

I think that who rules to roost in the US and its impact on the rest of the world is dependent on more than just the avowed foreign policies. I think we are much more interdependent than just merely based on foreign policies.

To me, Ron Paul is probably the most naive of the candidates I am aware of, in the US presidential race as it stands, from an economic viewpoint. So naive that it is worrying that he might even have been considered a candidate, although, in praise of the general US public he has not even be allowed, or at least has been limited, in his participation in public debates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, ROFL. The only non-naive candidate on economics, but you think he's the naive one. Nice!
Old 11-30-2007, 07:21 AM

You have to understand that the Austrian School of Economics and its supporters/adherents are but a very small, so small, as rightly called insignificant, numbers of economists around the world, and have been so for a long time. Gee, von Mises was early part of last century, and even then, he was insignificant academically!
Old 11-30-2007, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to understand that the Austrian School of Economics and its supporters/adherents are but a very small, so small, as rightly called insignificant, numbers of economists around the world, and have been so for a long time. Gee, von Mises was early part of last century, and even then, he was insignificant academically!

[/ QUOTE ]
This kind of argument certainly doesn't help you buy credibility.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron Paul is also the only candidate that does not believe in spreading America's goodness through force of arms and at the expense of Americans' lives. But yeah, there's seven other guys on stage that want to fight so he's probably just naive.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:36 AM

So our boy Ronnie has raised $23,000 from 8:33 - 9:33, and $130,000 so far today. Assuming donation trends hold like Nov. 5th with acceleration in the mid-afternoon, we could optimistically raise up to half a million today.

Also consider that there were 2,199 pledges to the Rudy's Reading List, but about 10x that number SO FAR for the Dec. 16th Tea Party money bomb. Exciting implications!
Old 11-30-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
xorbie, you are from CU? I'm at UIUC right now. I am proudly displaying my printed Ron Paul sign in my apt. window right now, and will put up the big one I ordered from the website when it gets here.

What will really help down here is if Obama leaves the Dem. race as I don't think too many people are super-high on Hillary.

[/ QUOTE ]

I graduated last May but I've decided to stick around playng poker for another year (still have a bunch of friends here and my brother lives here). I live way off campus in Urbana though. I was happy to see there are a bunch of Ron Paul signs in the professor/random old people area of Urbana once you go past east of Lincoln, considering that given all the "Support our Troops - End the War" signs I thought it was almost all Democrat (and thus likely to go Obama/Hillary).

Def agree that most students seem to be behind Obama. I'm hopefully gonna end up on the quad a few days with a sign trying to hand out some debate beatdowns and maybe a sticker.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:46 PM

Just take a graph of the S&P 500 denominated in gold prices with you to NeoCon houses. Ask them if they think their investments have done well, then show them the collapse of the market priced in commodities (like gold) and show them how housing is collapsing and ask if they would like for that to continue. Paint Bernanke as evil. Try to avoid the question of the war.