Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-27-2007, 11:38 PM

Default new football league (chris leak)??

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/2.../1090/GATORS01

here are a few paragraphs:

But the former Florida quarterback who helped lead the Gators to the 2006 BCS title will return to Gainesville next spring as a quarterback for Florida's inaugural All-American Football League franchise.

Leak is currently working out in Orlando and looking forward to the AAFL season. Florida opens play April 12 against Alabama in Jacksonville and will play the first of three games at Florida Field on April 26 against Arkansas.

Though Leak said he's received no assurances from Matthews, it's expected he'll come into camp this March as Florida's projected starter. The league, which will play with college rules, is attempting to market its franchises with former in-state college starters. Joining Leak on the Florida roster are former Gators Fred Weary, Chris Doering, Willie Jackson and Travis McGriff.

ANYONE know anything about this league? sounds interesting, although not sure it'll be success. any TV contract (didn't notice)???.... is this a better option than canada or arena? (although canada precludes NFL and this doesn't seem to)

thanks in advance!!
Old 11-27-2007, 11:41 PM

Default Re: new football league (chris leak)??

wow this sounds like it could be actually cool. obviously the xfl failed but i think that they went about marketing the league very poorly. i definitely think that there's more demand for football than the market provides. i remember a few months ago reading about mark cuban being involved with a new pro football league. anyone know if this is the same thing?

Edit: Here's the league's website, with a pretty extensive faq.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i definitely think that there's more demand for football than the market provides.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed 100%.. in fact i think that CFL should move more to spring-summer schedule. the fall is the busiest sports time by far... late spring, basically compete with NBA/NHL playoffs and early baseball. basically not alot.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:46 PM

Um, I think the NHL playoffs would be pretty significant competition for a Canadian football league.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Um, I think the NHL playoffs would be pretty significant competition for a Canadian football league.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think so. you'd have probably one or two canadian teams still around. and people don't watch that much once their team's eliminated.... i was thinking more live than TV.... NFL is much, much stiffer competition for CFL than NHL playoffs

also, on the competition, i was thinking generically. more as to what's going on around you. obviously CFL isn't too strong.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:53 PM

I see AAFL commercials running here in Jacksonville regularly. Former NFL great Danny Wuerffel is the spokesman. It's basically a league with ex-Gator players who can't play in the NFL, which is fine because I love me some Wuerffel to McGriff action.

I think its a great idea on the local level for players who can't cut it in the NFL. I don't think they have a TV contract and if they do it'd be local Comcast Sports or something. Since this is in the southeast, maybe they can get away with the travel expenses but I dunno how they could keep that up.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:48 AM

This is a good time for the season to start. April is when I start craving football again and I would watch this if the level of play was at least college level and it was played on an actual football field.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a good time for the season to start. April is when I start craving football again and I would watch this if the level of play was at least college level and it was played on an actual football field.

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt. I may try and get out to a game or two and see how good things go.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:06 AM

trying to tie this in with the available area alumni players and sometimes playing in the same stadium actually gives this kind of league a chance I suspect.

I really think a minor-league brand of outdoor football has a really tough struggle but this group seems to have some decent ideas.
Pushing this stuff on the season-ticket base at Florida and Michigan, etc could actually do an okay job of bringing fans out to the stadium.

One problem with XFL and other minor-leagues is that it's just the best players they can get but the fans have mostly never heard of them and they are supposed to start buying that now these are 'their' guys and should be cheering for them.

But by tapping into the alumni base you are taking advantage of the extreme loyalty these fans have towards their former players who they already have fond memories of cheering for.

It's really a great way to go about it.

Still a huge huge uphill battle though but I really might end up pulling for these guys if they can actually get it off the ground.

Not sure about the whole idea of broadcasting the games on some weird private network just to keep them commercial free. I think that could hurt more than help. People are used to TV time-outs at live games and also watching on TV.
I don't think attendance will be dramatically increased just because they brag, "No TV Timeouts!!!"

The league appears to be planning on teams for Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Michigan, Tennesse, Texas.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt. I may try and get out to a game or two and see how good things go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Russ M.,

I would most definitely be interested in hearing your thoughts on this league if you do go. One thing that I've always respected about you is your willingness to give new sports leagues a chance. I look forward to seeing this league, but I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it even more. I hope you have a great time at the game and really enjoy yourself.

Love,
Assani