Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 03:18 PM

Default Re: how to play luckbox fishes?

Very good points in this thread. These are the players you want to play against. You're implied odds are huge with them when you are in position so you can play a lot of SCs, suited gap connectors, small pocket pairs, etc. Raise these preflop to isolate the fish when you are in position and they've limped in from EP or MP. For example, when you hit a set on an A high flop, and they check/call, keep betting hard because they have an A and they're not laying it down.

If you raise to 5BB preflop, you can get up to a 60BB pot by the river leaving only a 2/3 PSB left over which they are more than likely to call with any part of the board if you pot the flop and the turn when you think they are drawing or are holding something weaker than your hand. When you miss, they are not going to bet so you can check behind and you've got infinite odds to draw or get away for only 5BB.

They also let you get away cheaply when you're beat as they will often check/call and then check/min-raise the turn. When a fish with an aggression factor of less than 1 checkraises you, he's got more than top pair almost always. He figures he's playing tricky but he's actually letting you get away for as cheap as possible.

These players probably make up about 60% of my profits because you can just constantly value bet them, just don't ever bluff or even semi-bluff with less than 12-15 outs.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in order to eat, i must try to get money off the fishes again.

[/ QUOTE ]

? Am I reading this right?

You should get a part time job. Who knows how your play is suffering because of the pressure?... and because you think of your winnings as $$, when you should think of them as poker chips instead.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
in order to eat, i must try to get money off the fishes again.

[/ QUOTE ]

? Am I reading this right?

You should get a part time job. Who knows how your play is suffering because of the pressure?... and because you think of your winnings as $$, when you should think of them as poker chips instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

sry, i have fulltime job
this is just expression, that the luckbox took all the money, leave nothing for me to win.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

fish check , i bet pot, fish call. ( i know he got a piece of the flop)
turn X

fish check, I CHECK ( i want to keep the pot small, he is not fold to the turn bet)

[/ QUOTE ]

Here you know you're ahead and you don't want to bet?

First of all, you absolutely want him to call you if you think he has a piece of the flop or a draw. Just be sure you're not giving him the proper odds to make his call profitable. If he sucks out on you, then he made a mistake by calling and your play will be the correct one over time.
That's great news for you if you know he'll call your bet even if he's behind.

Another way of looking at this is that if you don't bet the turn, you're giving villain unlimited odds to draw out on you.

Second, I don't understand what you mean about keeping the pot small in this situation. You've already told us that you expect you're ahead of villain and that he'll call whatever bet you make. Don't you want as much money in as possible here? In the absence of any read or in a multiway pot it makes much less sense to build a huge pot with top pair, but in this situation, it's exactly what you want to do. You'll make a lot more money punishing his stupid play here than you will the few times he pulls a rabbit out from his hat.

It sounds like what you're really saying is that you're sick and tired of bad beats and you'd rather play your hands unprofitably than deal with the mental anguish of getting sucked out on by someone who's playing Q4 or whatever.

You've said that this puts you on tilt, and that's fair enough, but probably better to plug your tilt leak and just play this hand the best way possible. Even if you keep the pot small, you're not going to feel that much better about it when your aces are cracked yet again, so you might just end up tilting anyway.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:35 PM

They won't win long term. If you play the odds, you will.

My advice? Play limit. You'll be sucked out on so often, in so many insane ways that you'll start being able to laugh at it.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:31 AM

I don't understand this post at all. Are you are saying that when you are at a table with some fish there, you leave them alone and go after the stronger players. This is one the most dumb thinking tactics I have heard of.

Variance will be a lot higher against fish but that is what it is - variance. Long term you want to eat as many fish as possible. A shark doesn't want to fight another shark when there is a school of fish in front of them.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:15 AM

you reraise your big hands and push any top pair, it's that simple.

and if the fishes win money against you in the long run then you are a losing player.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the fish got anything like a draw, bottom pair, or two over cards, they'll never fold their hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realise, I'm sure, that that's a GOOD thing, provided you're making them pay way too much for the privilege of drawing?

Sure, they'll suck out on you sometimes - although that too, is a good thing, because it keeps them coming back for more - but in the long run by playing tighter than the fish, and making them pay to draw, you'll be way, way ahead.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:19 AM

i like playing against bad players for some reason
Old 10-23-2007, 08:33 AM

Ah - you need additional good karma.

Try sitting down for a session and pledging 25% of all winnings to charity.

Last night I chose 'The Rainbow Trust' which is a charity for dying kids here in the UK

PokerEV tells me I should have won $44 in my 1 hour session.
In fact I won over $333 ..I logged onto the charity's website at 11pm and gifted them the $85.

Now the other players at my tables last night (especially the one with KK when I had JJ and hit my set) could be posting here complaining about my luckbox - but you see I ordered the luckbox when I chose to help the dying kiddies.

If you are trying to win a coin-flip with me when you just want to spend winnings on hookers and blow or something and I am helping dying kiddies, then poker gods are going to tilt the scales my way. And that's the best reason to give to any charity.

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]