Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 03:38 PM

Default A-high call 1/2 NL

So I am playing in my normal live 1/2 NL game filled with a wide array of bad players. The standard open in this game is to 12-16. There are lots of straddles, and most people play pretty passively. We are currently 6 handed.

Action folds to CO who raises to 8. CO is one of the better players in this game but is pretty bad. He plays a little to loose. What seperates him from the others is that he is agressive sometimes and is capable of firing multiple barrels. He usually gets tricky with his big hands so does not generally get paid off. I usually get the best of him and I sometimes think he has it out for me. I am viewed as LAG. We both have ~200 to start the hand.

Anyway I am on the button and see A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and decide to just call his 8. Usually I repop in position but I decided to mix it up.

Flop comes J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

CO bets 12. I call pretty quickly, thinking I can have the best hand here, but also that I can take him off a medium pair later in the hand. I seriously doubt CO would bet out with a J here, so my range for him is overpairs, medium pairs, and air.

Turn is the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

CO bets out 20. I call after some thought. At this point I think CO would have checked smaller pairs, but can also have a stubborn medium pair or an overpair or air. I am confident that I can take him off a medium pair on the river.

River is the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

CO bets 35. At this point that bet doesn't make any sense to me. I feel that almost any pair CO can have would have checked this river on a paired boared with a backdoor flush completing. I really can't put him on anything other than air, except for maybe 9s full or the backdoor flush. So like the donkey that I am, I call.

Whaddya think?
Old 02-01-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Re: A-high call 1/2 NL

You got taken to valuetown
Old 02-01-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You got taken to valuetown

[/ QUOTE ]

By what?
Old 02-01-2007, 03:48 PM

Most obvious would be a jack? Or overpair.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:10 PM

I do this sometimes, not sure if its bad or not.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:36 PM

If you think your hand might be best on the flop - go and find out and raise him right on the spot - if he calls you, you know where you are at - just calling all the way (intending to raise later) is not how you win this hand especially since it gets more and more expensiv on later streets.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think your hand might be best on the flop - go and find out and raise him right on the spot - if he calls you, you know where you are at - just calling all the way (intending to raise later) is not how you win this hand especially since it gets more and more expensiv on later streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

but isn't just calling the most profitable way to play the hand if he is bluffing?
Old 02-01-2007, 05:36 PM

lol I hope you lost to AK
Old 02-12-2007, 02:28 AM

I hate to beat on a dead horse here, but is the general consensus on this hand this is a terrible way to play poker?
Old 02-12-2007, 08:35 AM

honestly, he could have so many hands where he's "bluffing" with the best hand... I like a raise if you want to continue the pot, because everything about the line you took just makes it ridiculously hard for you to beat much.