5. CAL
6. OK
7. WVU
8. PSU
9. ORE
10. OHIO ST
Old 09-18-2007, 02:56 AM

Default Re: NCAAF rankings after week 3

This is purely for a laugh, this early in the season, but I'll post what my computer rankings have. These rankings are based almost entirely on cross referencing margins of victory, so of course 2-3 games for each team don't give nearly a big enough sample size to do enough cross referencing to mean anything, but there are still some interesting things here, as well as a few things that can be endlessly amusing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

1. Florida (69.0)
2. LSU (63.9)
3. Cincinnati (61.9)
4. Oklahoma (58.0)
5. Oregon (54.4)
6. Rutgers (53.2)
7. Kansas (52.3)
8. Kentucky (52.3)
9. USC (50.7)
10. Boston College (47.9)
11. Oregon State (47.4)
12. Michigan State (46.4)
13. Hawaii (46.0)
14. Alabama (45.4)
15. Louisville (44.5)
16. Western Kentucky (43.8... lol)
17. Texas (43.0)
18. Texas Tech (42.9)
19. Penn State (41.2)
20. Ohio State (40.9)
21. Nebraska (40.4)
22. Arkansas (40.4)
23. West Virginia (39.6)
24. Cal (38.7)
25. Boise State (37.4)
109. Stanford (12.1)
110. Notre Dame (10.8)
111. UL Lafayette (10.5)
114. All FCS teams, collectively treated as a single 6-44 team (6.2)
121. North Texas (0)

These are designed to be predictive power ratings (though I'd wait 2-3 more weeks before actually using them as a gambling tool), so the numbers in parenthesis are meant to be compared to project spreads on neutral sites.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:03 AM

BobJoeJim,

I like your style. There's no crime in saying 11 teams are top ten worthy. There wouldn't be a crime if you said 14 teams or 6 teams were worthy. I really like the tiering system, especially at this point in the season. There's no reason to split hairs until we have more data to work with.

All,

Where do you rank Tennessee? This is a very interesting question, because they got 4 votes combined in the two polls this week and they are probably one of the 20 best teams in the nation. They were ranked 15th to start and played games ON THE ROAD against two top 10 teams. Basically, they've done what they are supposed to do, yet they've drop 20+ spots in the voters eyes. Where would they be ranked if the La Lafayette and Florida games had been swapped on the schedule? This team could easily run the table the rest of the way, as their two toughest games are behind them. The worst they project to is 8-4,. The only game they *might* be an underdog is October 20th, at Alabama.

Speaking of Alabama, how on earth did they pull this schedule? Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee, and LSU at home? They go to Florida State in two weeks in what should be a good game. There only other "test" on the road is their rivalry game at Auburn. Am I wrong, or is that game in Birmingham?
Old 09-18-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where do you rank Tennessee?

[/ QUOTE ]

Slightly above Notre Dame.

[ QUOTE ]
This team could easily run the table the rest of the way, as their two toughest games are behind them. The worst they project to is 8-4,. The only game they *might* be an underdog is October 20th, at Alabama.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Arkansas and Kentucky would all be favorites against them this week.

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of Alabama, how on earth did they pull this schedule? Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee, and LSU at home?

[/ QUOTE ]

You think there are shenanigans here? The SEC scheduling process is pretty transparent.

[ QUOTE ]
They go to Florida State in two weeks in what should be a good game. There only other "test" on the road is their rivalry game at Auburn. Am I wrong, or is that game in Birmingham?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:42 PM

I don't see, based on resume, how anybody can rank Penn State ahead of ohio state, Oregon, or BC.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:09 PM

The problem with Tennessee is that while they have losses to good teams, they don't have good losses. Even if Florida is the best team in the country you still can't afford to lose to them by 39, not even on the road, when you already have one double digit loss on your resume. Tennessee is probably in the 35-40 range right now, though they certainly still have the opportunity to play their way back into the top 25.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of Alabama, how on earth did they pull this schedule? Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee, and LSU at home? They go to Florida State in two weeks in what should be a good game. There only other "test" on the road is their rivalry game at Auburn. Am I wrong, or is that game in Birmingham?

[/ QUOTE ]

no...Bama/Auburn don't play at Legion Field in Birmingham anymore. They actually go to opposing campuses now.

Also, with Alabama, 5 of their opponents have a bye before playing Bama. Ok, Bama has a bye before LSU as LSU has a bye before Bama, so that helps. But, their unbalanced home schedule is somewhat mitigated.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, with Alabama, 5 of their opponents have a bye before playing Bama. Ok, Bama has a bye before LSU as LSU has a bye before Bama, so that helps. But, their unbalanced home schedule is somewhat mitigated.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice observation.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wisconsin's true ranking is about 40.

My underrated teams:

South Carolina
USF
UCF
BC