Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 12:26 AM

Default NL200 against a complete nut

In this hand, villain is playing 83/20. After seeing his hand ranges, I am basically trying to get in every hand with this guy. I have been chipping away at this guys stack, until he doubles up on me with his T7o against my KK. After that, I made a point to be in with this guy with any two until this hand comes up.

Full Tilt Poker, $1/$2 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 8 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

BB: $110.80
UTG: $34.75
UTG+1: $197
MP1: $222.15
MP2: $276
Hero (CO): $323
BTN: $307.85
SB: $230

Pre-Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (CO)
4 folds, Hero calls $2, <font color="red">BTN raises to $4</font>, SB folds, BB calls $2, Hero calls $2

Flop: ($13) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $25</font>, BB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $75</font>, BTN calls $50

Turn: ($163) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $244 and is All-In</font>, BTN calls $228.85 and is All-In

River: ($620.70) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $620.70 Pot ($3 Rake)

Is this played correctly, I realize we each have more than 100BB, but I feel like his range is so wide, I should probably be trying to get as much value in as possible before a third heart comes. Thoughts?
Old 10-22-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Re: NL200 against a complete nut

[ QUOTE ]

Pre-Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (CO)
4 folds, Hero calls $2, <font color="red">BTN raises to $4</font>, SB folds, BB calls $2, Hero calls $2

[/ QUOTE ]lol

postflop is fine, don't post results, it gives vibes of a bad beat story. You got what you asked for...BE HAPPY!
Old 10-22-2007, 12:32 AM

Whatever, that wasn't the intention of this post, I just wanted to get a discussion going of the correct way to play this hand one, and two, how to play against guys like this, which are extremely rare, yet still very profitable these days.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:36 AM

The hand plays itself after the flop. You don't have to push the turn but it's not bad either as he probably doesn't fold a jack or maybe even a pair and def. not a draw or a hand as good as AA.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:39 AM

Well played.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:08 AM

lol preflop is bad, but if the table is going to play like live why not. postflop is standard i would sya
Old 10-22-2007, 01:14 AM

I don't think widening your range to any two against a maniac is +EV. Sometimes a semingly reckless preflop player will disguise a good postflop player so don't make too many quick assumptions.

If he is just a bad player than I widen my range to hands that offer good implied odds such as suited connectors/gappers, small pairs, and play them with the proper effective stack sizes. I still avoid hands with reverse implied odds that need a miracle flop such as A6o or J5o, there are still other players to deal with.

If you really want to mix it up with him study his play and look for patterns, weaknesses, areas to exploit, you can go for thin value play once you think you have him figured out. BTW, I recommend this type of play for live games as opposed to online. Much more information is available to you from a bad player live.

Be aware that you will be playing a much bigger higher variance game even though you are at the same table and understand the effects to you bankroll. If you are underfunded for this type of play than it is not correct to play that way even if you think you have an edge since a dollar lost can be worth more than a dollar gained.

don't just jump in with no preperation or you may just end up in a game of chicken with him playing neutral EV for stacks.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:45 AM

preflop is horrible
lol

as played postflop is fine
Old 10-22-2007, 03:56 AM

I like the idea of widening your range to get money out of this donk but not this wide LOL...as played postflop is standard
Old 10-22-2007, 03:58 AM

I like the call preflop personally, this way when you do win those 1 in 100 times you can scream "MO TOWN BEOTCH!"