Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 04:14 AM

Default Learning Investing

Hey

I've decided to seriously pursue investing. I came up from nothing in poker and learned everything I know from 2p2, directly or indirectly, as well as a network of friends/peers.

Basically I want to do the same thing but with stocks (investments in general but I plan to focus on the market). So my question is where should I go? Whats the 2p2 of investing (likely an investing forum, but could be anything). Really what I want is a basic understanding, or something to get me started, because I can really teach myself alot of it if I get pushed in the right direction and have a place to go when I'm confused.

I've started reading BFI, but I'm not sure its the place to start learning, if I'm wrong correct me.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:38 AM

Default Re: Learning Investing

Honestly this question is asked at least once a week you can look back a few pages and find tons of threads with pretty much the exact same title.

I'll bring you back to Earth a little here. Your chances of turning a little money in to a lot of money in a few years in the stock market are at or close to zero. So it really doesn't help to think of investing anything like poker.

Other than that there really is so much to learn that should keep you interested.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:11 AM

I think he just wants a forum like 2p2 is for poker, but for investing. If someone could point him in the right direction, I and I'm sure many others, could benefit as well.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:40 AM

JMX surmised my point.

mm, erm, I'm not sure how bankroll management works yet? (obv) But I disagree, I think I can make a ton of money, especially if I finance my [stock] bankroll with poker money. Also its possible we have separate definitions of what a lot of $ is.

Anyway I am specifically interested with derivatives (sp?) I feel like if I focus alot of time and energy grasping the way these work I can have actual infinite money in about a decade or so.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
JMX surmised my point.

mm, erm, I'm not sure how bankroll management works yet? (obv) But I disagree, I think I can make a ton of money, especially if I finance my [stock] bankroll with poker money. Also its possible we have separate definitions of what a lot of $ is.

Anyway I am specifically interested with derivatives (sp?) I feel like if I focus alot of time and energy grasping the way these work I can have actual infinite money in about a decade or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

good luck.

derivatives are quite difficult to get a grasp on. especially the more complex ones.

poker gives you the ability to turn $100 into $100k in anywhere from less than a year to 2 or moreyears.

the stockmarket, if you're lucky, can let you turn $100k into $130k, or if you're not $80k or less in a year.

basically you need to understand that you are entering a different world.

good luck with your venture though.

Barron
Old 10-10-2007, 10:35 AM

Motley fool @: www.fool.com

Vanguard Diehards (all of the threads in the reference library here: http://www.diehards.org/forum/viewfo...94967ad850f8bc )

finance.yahoo.com or some other finance site like it
Old 10-10-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway I am specifically interested with derivatives (sp?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad place to start. In terms of practice, start by going long. It is hard enough to be challenging, but the great thing is that the overall trend is upward so you actually have a decent chance of coming out ahead even if your stock/fund choices are more or less random.

And anyway, you really can't understand options/derivatives until you understand the long perspective.

Start with some good books, there have been threads here about good ones.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Motley fool @: www.fool.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Blech. There are some good message boards there (I participate in a couple), but the fool itself has sold out with a vengeance. They have some of the sleaziest banner ads around.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who do you think you are? Hillary?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:44 PM

OP,

I think you're severely overrating your abilities and underrating the difficulty of consistently making money investing. Believing that you can beat the stock market or any form of investing because you're good at poker is pretty foolish.

I remember seeing your name in the student forum (I graduated from the same school last year). The easiest way for you to learn is to begin taking courses in accounting and finance.