Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2007, 02:28 PM

Default Re: SEC Bowl Game Predictions

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

On a serious note, do you think you really know how good Florida is? They had so many close games this year, five games with wins less than a touchdown. I thought LSU was better, but they staggered in the late season as well. That's why everyone thought OSU would romp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Staggered?

October 14 Kentucky W 49-0 5-2 (2-2)
October 21 Fresno State W 38-6 6-2 (2-2)
November 4 at No. 8 Tennessee W 28-24 7-2 (3-2) CBS
November 11 Alabama W 28-14 8-2 (4-2)
November 18 Mississippi W 23-20 9-2 (5-2)
November 24 at No. 5 Arkansas W 31-26 10-2 (6-2) CBS
January 3 vs No. 17 Notre Dame W 41-14 11-2 (6-2) Fox

What does a team have to do to be considered "good" in some of your opinions? Beat an NFL team? Win all of their games by 21 points? Here's something you can remember for next year: if a team gets through the SEC with one or two losses, they're good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, we don't know how good they are. Just "good" doesn't tell us anything.

As for 'staggered', coming from behind to beat an overrated Tennessee team and having to score 13 points in the fourth to beat a horrible Ole Miss team in overtime is staggering, not to mention slipping by Arkansas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why this game was close:

They played the second most freshman in the country and were much improved by the time they played LSU.

LSU/Ole Miss is a long standing rivalry especially to Ole Miss. Many Ole Miss fans consider this their cheif rival and not Miss. St. This game has of late usually been close and hard fought.

Ole Miss head coach and a couple of assistants are from Louisanna and many players are also.

LSU just finished with Alabama and focusing on Arkansas.

Just for the sake of nitpicking Ole Miss wasn't "horrible." Sure they finished 4-8 and no one will argue they were good however:

We say in the bowls the SEC was very good this year
Loss to LSU by 3
Loss to Alabama by 3 in OT
Loss to Georgia by 5 and got shafted on a blocked punt
Loss to Auburn by 6
Loss to Kentucky(8-5) statistically very close game but 5 turnovers on the road is a killer for anyone
Loss to Wake Forrest (11-3) ACC champs
Loss ot Missouri (8-5)

If Ole Miss plays Ark. St. and Middle Tn State non-conference instead of Missouri and Wake Forrest (like so many others do), they would have been 6-6, in a bowl game, and not a bit better. Or they could have lucked up and won two of the four SEC games determined by less than a touchdown and done the same. Although, I guess that would make them better.

Yes I know they didn't and that is the point, but they weren't horrible. Any other conference or even an easier OOC schedule and they are atleast a .500 team.

I would say this win was as good or better than beating Ball Sate by 8 or Illionis by 7.