Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 10:45 AM

Default W on your transcript?

So heres the deal.

I am studying abroad in Cairo this semester and only 4 out of 5 of my classes will transfer for credit back at GW. I am thinking of dropping the fifth course however at this point it will be a W on my transcript. Worse yet it will be a WF since I have below a C in the course.

GW tells me that this will not show up on my official GW transcript but it will be on my AUC transcript. The only problem I foresee will be if an employer looks at my AUC transcript.

Will this really be a problem at all? Is one WF an issue of any importance in life? Any and all help appreciated.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Re: W on your transcript?

WF typically does show up on transcripts and affects your GPA. Whether it shows up on the GW transcript is another matter, but i suppose you can take their word for it.

Any grad school is going to request ALL transcripts. Future employers are unpredictable. They might or might not.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:41 AM

Ganja is right, but I'm pretty sure a WF is better than just an F. Also, if you ace it next time around there is a much higher chance this can be ignored. If there isn't a do over possible (i.e. no equivalent at your home university), it's a tougher situation but probably not a big deal.

Really depends on your academic goals - I had an academic suspension and still could have made grad school because I smartened up. My employer didn't care either - it's more important that that there isn't a pattern of this sort of academic performance.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:27 AM

I don't know about the WF...

I have 4 W's on my Transcripts. When I was deployed to Kosovo, it was after the drop/add period so the school had to withdraw me from the semester and instead of wiping it off my transcripts, they gave me W's. It did not affect my GPA afaik.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about the WF...

I have 4 W's on my Transcripts. When I was deployed to Kosovo, it was after the drop/add period so the school had to withdraw me from the semester and instead of wiping it off my transcripts, they gave me W's. It did not affect my GPA afaik.

[/ QUOTE ]
Typically, W's are ignored, unless there are a ton of them. You could probably go back and get those W's removed since they were due to your deployment orders.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Typically, W's are ignored, unless there are a ton of them. You could probably go back and get those W's removed since they were due to your deployment orders.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea. I might just look into getting them removed before I graduate. I didn't think about that. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:19 PM

If you ever apply to law school, the WF will count as an F for GPA calculations.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea. I might just look into getting them removed before I graduate. I didn't think about that. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are actually lots of ways to get W's removed, and it's a shame students don't know to do it. One way is to get a medical waiver. You can get almost any doctor to sign one of these if you go present moderately severe mental illness symptoms (e.g. depression, panic disorder, etc.) Schools are required to let you drop a class anytime during the semester, even the day before the final exam. If you fight, you can get the W removed entirely. I've seen it done many times and would back up any student i thought was sick.

If you're pregnant, and can show that you have an unusually difficult time (this is beyond easy to do), then you're almost certainly going to get sympathy. I knew a student who dropped a class the last week of the semester, and when the dept Head wasn't immediately compliant, she told the Head that she thought she would have a miscarriage if the stress of failing kept dogging her. Needless to say, she got what she wanted.

There is legal counsel at almost all major universities. If you have any questions, go talk to them about it. They won't help you find a sneaky solution, but they'll help you get what you deserve.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:02 PM

my grades are bad, i'm pretty apathetic about school

i've never gotten an F or a D but mucho C's fairshare of B's and very very few A's

I have taken 15 hours every semester but I am going to graduate with 6 or 7 W's.... Everytime I withdraw from a class i join a second half of the semester class... it's just twice a week at night for 8 weeks, and you can join it after the withdrawl deadline

I'm going to graduate with a buisness degree international buisness or marketing (gotta decide in a couple weeks) and a minor in criminal justice

How hard is it gonna be for me to get a job, prolly end with a g.p.a of 2.5 and seven W's (15 hours every semester)
Old 10-30-2007, 09:40 PM

It's really hard to say. It all depends on the job you're looking for. You can probably find a job, but whether you are competitive for a great job is questionable.