Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Whats the \"best\" sport?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Surfing - Yeah, access is a huge issue for 98% of people out there, but if you're lucky enough to live near good waves, it has everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno about the statistics, but anecdotally in my experience surfing has a pretty high injury rate. Even if you stay away from rocks and reefs, avoid the really big waves, and avoid crowded spots, newbies seem to always hurt themselves. I know a lot of guys who broke or bruised ribs which is brutally painful. But yeah, it's fun and a great workout.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surfing is an incredibly great sport, and the constant swimming keeps you healthy and relaxed and looking good. However, coming home bloody is pretty common. A lot of that is because surfing is so much fun and ballsy that plenty of people will surf pretty much anywhere, so if the waves are only a few feet above a reef, well, so be it ....
Old 10-04-2007, 03:51 PM

For super-competitive people or for people who want to get into something deeper than a mere sport, sometimes it will do: martial arts. Nothing is done for higher stakes or at higher intensity.

The other ones I'd choose because they are extremely social and often very easy to get going with others. Additionally, they can be played by a huge age range:

For the most in-shape people and the youngest especially: Racquetball. Very fun and fast moving, and aerobic.

Tolerates not being in good shape or young, but can still be very challenging for serious competitors: Tennis. Offers tremedous socializing opportunities and is lots of fun. Can be played as a single, as doubles, or in mixed doubles, and can be played between the sexes.

Tolerates even being pretty old, while remaining very competitive: Golf. Tends to be a lot more expensive than the other two, but a tremendous challenge to even the very young while also managing to be the perfect "old man" sport.

General fitness activity(not really as a sport): Swimming. Old and young find it relaxing and invigorating. Great for both a work-out and to help you feel better after one, both to wake up and ease oneself down to get ready for sleep. Almost impossible not to enjoy no matter how easy you take it or what age you are.

Team sport: Take your pick really. Some rely more on the team aspect, some more on coordinating individual prowess with a team's needs. A personal choice.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Edit - clicked the link, I stopped reading after "Old manners of getting in shape seem to us today as antiquated and inefficient as using Indian clubs and medicine balls." Erm, medicine balls can give you a great workout, I have no idea on indian clubs, but yeah, this article is badly written and pretty poor content too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, medicine balls and clubs really do give you a great work-out, and both have been making come-backs. The clubs are incredible fitness tools.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:07 PM

swimming??
Old 10-04-2007, 04:11 PM

As a general fitness activity, not a sport, hard to beat. Not a lot of fat surfers or body-surfers where I came from in Hawaii, but a lean body and terrific health was standard.

As a sport, I find it extremely dull and repetitive.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:53 PM

rowing
Old 10-04-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rowing

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, super one dimensional.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
swimming??

[/ QUOTE ] best sport? Its a good work out and fun but not even close to the best sport imo.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:23 PM

Soccer. There is a reason it is the most popular sport globally. It hits on all the criteria you mentioned.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Soccer. There is a reason it is the most popular sport globally. It hits on all the criteria you mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ] except the fun factor. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I just dont find soccer fun.