Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2007, 01:48 PM

Default From Veggies to Meat: Man-Apes become Human

From Veggies to Meat: Man-Apes become human

The “man-apes” of Africa (australopithecines) was first discovered in a 1924 dig. This is considered by anthropologists as being one of the most exciting and enlightening finds of modern anthropology. The man-ape, which was first born perhaps a million years ago, represents the transition point of the transformation from ape to human. From the shuffling vegetarian ape to the upright walking carnivore human, this man-ape creature had the brain one-half the size of the modern human.

Most of what we now consider to be human has resulted from the taste for meat developing in this man-ape creature. Hunting for meat requires hunting in groups, which in turn requires better communication between individuals, which in turn requires better tools and weapons, which in turn requires newer forms of social organization, all of which leads to greater intellectual sophistication.

This greater intellectual sophistication has led this newly evolving species into the development of a much larger brain with the sophisticated reasoning ability of the modern human. Meat eating has made humans of us.

“Man developed away from the apes precisely because he had to hunt meat; and if you want to hunt meat you cannot afford yourself the luxury of baboon behavior.”

As a result of our carnivorous appetite we have developed non-primate social relations; we now regulate sexual behavior and develop families requiring new social harmonies. We now acquire our recognition from others not based upon what we take but from what we give. “Unlike the baboon who gluts himself only on food, man nourishes himself mostly on self-esteem…The hunting band lives in the security of internal peace necessary to get food, of the right of all to partake of what food there is, and of the certainty of the provision of regular sexual partners for all.”

We are now beginning to comprehend the fact that humans are primarily unique because wo/man is a total celebration of itself in distinctive self-expression.

Quotes from “The Birth and Death of Meaning”—Ernest Becker
Old 06-16-2007, 02:57 PM

Default Re: From Veggies to Meat: Man-Apes become Human

That is so wrong, it's hard to pick a starting point.
If it were written 1924, that'd be understandable,but it wasn't and this is 2007., shouldn't some of his imaginative claims coincide with the facts now available to make it of value today?
Becker is a good example of what happens with a humanities mindset with post-modernist tendencies wanders into scientific fields.
I'd like to find a note tucked away in his safety deposit box that he was Sokaling us.

luckyme
Old 06-16-2007, 03:07 PM

'We are now beginning to comprehend the fact that humans are primarily unique because wo/man is a total celebration of itself in distinctive self-expression.'

Self-indulgent tripe.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it were written 1924, that'd be understandable

[/ QUOTE ]

lol - maybe in England.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:50 PM

Australopithecines are not ancestors of humans. They both diverged from a common line. So the fact that australopithicines were the first to do anything doesn't really have much bearing on how humans have evolved.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to find a note tucked away in his safety deposit box that he was Sokaling us.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does "Sokaling" mean? I've never heard the word before. It's not even in the Urban Dictionary. Where does the word come from? I see it is getting used a little.

PairTheBoard
Old 06-16-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What does "Sokaling" mean? I've never heard the word before. It's not even in the Urban Dictionary. Where does the word come from? I see it is getting used a little.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]
here
Old 06-16-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]
here

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely read it. One of the most hilarious pranks of all time.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it were written 1924, that'd be understandable,but it wasn't and this is 2007., shouldn't some of his imaginative claims coincide with the facts now available to make it of value today?
Becker is a good example of what happens with a humanities mindset with post-modernist tendencies wanders into scientific fields.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Ernest Becker won the Pulitzer Prize for Nonfiction and was a distinguished social theorist, and a teacher of anthropology, sociology, and social psychology.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Ernest Becker won the Pulitzer Prize for Nonfiction and was a distinguished social theorist, and a teacher of anthropology, sociology, and social psychology.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, most of the section you quoted was fiction.
I'm aware of Becker's work and a lot of it is on par with Jung's synchronicity theory.
He needed to get out in the jungle more.

luckyme