Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2006, 07:17 PM

Default I probably could have played almost every street differently

This is a 3/6 Stars Stud High game. It hasn't been running along, but I may have a somewhat aggressive image already. I was unsure of how to proceed at nearly every decision point, so I'm going to provide my thinking on each street, and I'd really appreciate anyone telling me whether my line was reasonable and what, if anything, would have been better.

7 Card Stud High ($3/$6), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.25 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___raises

[b]I pretty much never 3-bet after open raising from late position, generally either calling (with a decent draw/big pair) or folding (garbage, small pairs, bad draws) depending on the situation. I'm not wild about having a 3-betting range of just overpairs, should I be doing it anyway? Or 3-betting more aggressively? It seems to me that in these low limit games my late position raises don't get reraised nearly as often as they should, so in general I don't feel the need to punish light 2-betters with a wideish 3-betting range.

4th Street - (4.25 SB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks

Looking for a check-raise. Should I consider check-calling and waiting to make a move on a big bet street? I'm so aggressive that a check from me probably means weakness more often than is optimal, so I actively look for spots to check-raise. Is this a good one?

5th Street - (2.13 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises

A good player could be raising here with worse hands than mine putting me on a four-flush that's making a play after his passive action on 4th. But I don't like to give low limit unknowns that kind of credit, so I decided not to bloat the pot too much and just see if I can improve.

6th Street - (6.13 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

Do I want to lead? It's got to look like I've got a flush, and even if he just folds a worse pair, I gain some equity, and maybe he folds some two pair hands that are slightly ahead of me?

River - (8.13 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks

I was really unsure about this check. For some reason I felt like he was either bluffing or had me beat, but I can't really justify that looking back on it. I don't expect him to value bet too many worse hands. Would bet/fold be better than check planning to call?

Thanks for any help you can offer!