Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Girl Can\'t Name All the Continents?!

Just to double check. Does everyone who is defending the girl not know the continents?
Old 11-29-2006, 08:57 PM

Trivia is a great tool to weed out the stupid people. To find the smart people it does a poor job imo.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:13 PM

Feh. people under 25 are stupid, and most college students are under 25.

AB
Old 11-29-2006, 09:35 PM

Isn't there something to be said about how easily led/manipulated an ignorant population can be? If you don't know the 7 continents then it is highly unlikely that you know anything about what is happening in the world now or throughout history. Sure you can function perfectly fine without knowing anything 'important' on the scale of human history in your daily life. But doesn't anybody but me find it frightening to think about how ignorant people of my generation (26) are?

I guess on a micro scale any one individual doesn't need to know anything besides what it takes to perform his or her job.

In the macro sense we live in a republic where people who don't know the 7 continents have the same vote that I have. (I am not meaning to act superior-I wish I was much more informed than I am but I don't put out the effort). Politicians cater to the ignorant because most of their constituents are. Our political discourse is simple minded rhetoric designed to appeal to the emotional sensibilities of the masses. And the people who complain about the system are usually the same people who can't name the secretary of state or know how the electoral college works. I guess you get the government you deserve.

And that's just the U.S. There is a whole freakin world out there. When elitist Europeans complain about Americans being ignorant it irritates me but they're right. We are, and its because we choose to be.

I suppose you can be intelligent without a 1st grade knowledge of geography. Maybe the point is that knowledge is more important than raw intelligence.

I have a funny story too. An acquaintance of my brother argued in a class that the world was flat. They asked her if she'd ever seen a globe and her reply was 'Have you ever seen a MAP?'
Old 11-29-2006, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to double check. Does everyone who is defending the girl not know the continents?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know most of them:

1. England
2. Antartica/Iceland
3. America
4. Africa
5. and the one with the Chinese people

and oh

6. The place with the Kangaroos
Old 11-29-2006, 10:05 PM

anyone who can name all 7 continents is stupid
Old 11-29-2006, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2. Antartica/Iceland

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent
Old 11-29-2006, 10:22 PM

Obv. she's [censored] stupid for not being able to name the continents.. Its not that she missed one, like forgot Australia or something, its that she had a hard time with Asia and Europe.

The thing that I haven't really seen discussed is how stupid most girls who do well in school actually are. Of The girls that do well 90% of them just put their nose in the book and memorize whatever the hell their supposed to. They never actually step back and try and understand the concepts that are being taught to them. (Not that 7 continents is really a concept...) Most female students only care about getting the grade. This girl is obv. one of them.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a lot of americans don't know how many states there are either. there are 51 right?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right. Who doesn't include Mexico?

[/ QUOTE ]

Everybody includes Mexico, but nobody includes New Mexico, so that's still fifty. Isn't New England the fifty-first state?

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

New England? Isn't that part of Canada?
Old 11-29-2006, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obv. she's [censored] stupid for not being able to name the continents.. Its not that she missed one, like forgot Australia or something, its that she had a hard time with Asia and Europe.

The thing that I haven't really seen discussed is how stupid most girls who do well in school actually are. Of The girls that do well 90% of them just put their nose in the book and memorize whatever the hell their supposed to. They never actually step back and try and understand the concepts that are being taught to them. (Not that 7 continents is really a concept...) Most female students only care about getting the grade. This girl is obv. one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if it takes you 100 words to say "girls are stupid" does that make you super smart?