Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Bank hassle with PS check, what do you say here?

So I bring two checks to the bank, one for $1100 and another for $700 and I have the money to cover but tell them to put a hold on them anyway. The teller starts looking at the check strangely and says "I have never seen one of these before" and "is this a payroll check". So I proceed to tell her that it's from my internet business and she calls over this nosy b.itch next to her. I start getting grilled at this point. The bitch wants me to tell her about the business???? She wants to know the company and the type of work I do???She said there has been some scams from internet checks...

She is way out of line here right?? I could be wrong, but it's none of her business where my money is coming from. So I basically tell her to f off and put a hold on the check like I originally said. She still insisted on sticking her nose in my business and it really pissed me off. Even though I have plenty of money to cover, the nosy bitch says to the teller in a condescending tone "better be safe than sorry...put a hold on them". I feel like a criminal bringing these checks into that bank now. It's a small CU and I'm thinking to write a letter to the pres and let him know about this nosy bitch. What is the best way to approach this in the future?? I thought it would be easy and painless when I immediately told them to put a hold on it but it still proved to be a hassle.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Bank hassle with PS check, what do you say here?

Drop them in the night deposit slot or the ATM. When they get them, they will think they "look funny" and put a hold on them. I usually get a notice in the mail the next day informing me of a 10 day hold.

The bank DOES have the right to refuse to accept them, but that rarely happens with any check. They just want time to make sure it clears.

--------Meow
Old 06-28-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Drop them in the night deposit slot or the ATM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do anything else (going to the teller, writing letters to the president, etc.), and you are just wasting time, raising your blood pressure, and causing problems for yourself and possibly for other people who deposit these kinds of checks.

Better yet, open an account with an internet bank (e.g. Umbrella Bank). Then you can deposit your checks by mail with postage-paid envelopes, get 100%-free ATM withdrawals absolutely everywhere, and never have to look at a bank teller again in your life.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:28 PM

That is a good idea---I use State Farm Bank. Never hear a thing about ny checks being deposited--some are put on hold and some not.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:41 PM

How the hell did someone stupid enough to A) Ask for a hold on his own deposit and B) Decide to make a stink about his grey-area legality income possibly profit $1800?
Old 06-28-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How the hell did someone stupid enough to A) Ask for a hold on his own deposit and B) Decide to make a stink about his grey-area legality income possibly profit $1800?

[/ QUOTE ]

I told her smoothly to just put a hold on it. Why am I subjected to harassment when I bring in one of these checks, that's why I have to make a stink about this. I don't need some FBI wannabe bank teller asking me a million questions about my money and where the check came from and who the company is...which is what I tried to avoid by telling her from the start to just deposit it and put a hold on it. The questions should have ended when I told her it was from my internet business but she insisted on being a huge bitch.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Drop them in the night deposit slot or the ATM. When they get them, they will think they "look funny" and put a hold on them. I usually get a notice in the mail the next day informing me of a 10 day hold.

The bank DOES have the right to refuse to accept them, but that rarely happens with any check. They just want time to make sure it clears.

--------Meow

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely 100% correct. A bank has no oligation to accept deposits. Follow KittyLiquor's advice. (Don't use tellers)Don't write that ignorant (and attention-grabbing) letter.

Good luck in the future.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

--------Meow

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely 100% correct. A bank has no oligation to accept deposits. Follow KittyLiquor's advice. (Don't use tellers)Don't write that ignorant (and attention-grabbing) letter.

Good luck in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

"ignorant"?? lol

That bank teller is there to provide quality customer service to those who do their banking there. She's not there to grill customers about where their checks came from. That's why they have the hold process in the first place.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

--------Meow

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

"ignorant"?? lol

That bank teller is there to provide quality customer service to those who do their banking there. She's not there to grill customers about where their checks came from. That's why they have the hold process in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I work for a brokerage firm and any time we receive a funny looking check, Cashier's check, or Bank Check we get an explanation why. As long as the person requesting it is polite I see no issue with it. The fact is, recent anti-terrorism laws passed to discourage money laundering require financial institutions to cover their own ass & employees are trained to look for this stuff. If they don't don't, they face fines, penalties, firing, etc.

It sounds like the Customer Service rep handled it poorly and the OP gave some shady answer or looked guilty of something.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:02 PM

Def write a letter to the pres. She shouldn't grill you like that, she should nicely say, "we have to put a hold on this check, blah blah, I'm sorry for the inconvienence, sir."

BTW don't tell them to put a hold on your own check ffs