Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Omaha 8 pot limit

Hi All, I need some advise. I have been playing this private game Omaha 8 pot limit for over a year. Blinds 1 and 2 dollars. I have made over 6,200 in last year playing once a week. We buy in for 110.00 (ten for the vfw club) Now in last 5 weeks we have a new gentleman (84 years old, but sharp) and he seems to play a little lose BUT buys in for 300.00 to start. Now he has beat the game 4 times out of 5 and for about 400-600 each time. He does not shuffle cards we take turns and hand them to dealer which cuts them and deals(one of our players). My wife (poker player) seen the difference in my wins almost none(I have been in a rut with bad cards I will admit) But she says as I told here he will raise a lot to say 7 or 10 dollars almost each time after we post our blinds and if you are going bad he drags you down with him. She said I am disadvantaged(all of us) because we let him but in for 300.00 to start the game with or we have another guy that will buy in for maybe 200-300 if he blows the first 100.00 buy in and seems to win after that. They both push their weight around with the extra chips it seems. The fear of what they could do with the extra cash is and advantage over regular 100.00 buy in players we believe. I agree now but is she right? They went no limit here in Florida(state law ) and the pots went from betting 1 and 2 bets with maybe 20.00 pots to as high as 350,000 they were bring in bags of money. So all poker houses went to a 100.00 buy in to make the field level. Granted when we win we can shove our stacks in if you win and build it. Ps if you know any good reading or articles on pot limit Omaha 8 please let me know I read everything I can find on whatever I game play. Harry. I will check here or you can email me at <font color="black"> </font> harryendres@comcast.net
Old 10-09-2007, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Omaha 8 pot limit

[ QUOTE ]
He does not shuffle cards

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the real issue here. i'd get the old man banned from the game.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:35 PM

Mmmmm, I can smell the variance and free-flowing chips from across the continent. Yummy.

It sounds like you may need some re-education about how to play a short stack and not be intimidated at the thought of putting it all in the middle. In all seriousness, give the Sklansky/Miller NLHE Book a look, and particularly look at the section on short-stack play.

There's no really good book specificaally on PLO8, and most PLO8ers seem to like it that way.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:01 PM

Don't let him "drag you down with him." Hold out for good starting cards and when you are in front let him lead out and re-pop it. Once you check raise him a few times, if he doesn't adjust then you cracked his code and can exploit it.

Why is there not a set limit on the buyin? The limit should be the same for all people. If you felt like you were taking advantage of him (not saying you were) by letting him buy in deep and then you could siphon off his chips then you are getting what you deserve.

google "Mudaro Omaha Hi Lo" if you like mathy, table-heavy articles.

The better you are as a player, the sooner you will be able to adapt and beat the old man into a pile of dust.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:19 AM

Listen to your wife! When the players are equally skilled the deeper stacks tend to have an advantage. This is especially true when the smaller stacks are mid sized (50 to 70 BBs or so). Playing shortstacked (20 - 30 BB) is not so bad since you can't be bullied then, but boring for yourself (very tight preflop play), disgusting for your opponents and not very profitable too.

This forum has a lot of good info, but it takes time to find the good stuff.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:41 AM

The best discussion of PL stack issues I've read is Rolf Slotboom's "Secrets of Pro PLO". He explains how he used a short-stack strategy to good effect, exploiting loose-aggressive pre-flop play. Also in some games, how a medium-stack mini-raising strategy will be very effective.

The key point is, that the deeper the stack, the looser you should play. So it looks to me, that this "old timer" is canny enough to "play a little loose", and he's using the difficulty of putting him on a hand, and the weight of chips to make plays against players, who tighten up too much when faced with decisions for whole of their buy in.

In a loose-passive PLO game, I like to be fairly short-stack and play tight, when I double through and become the largest stack, it is very noticeable how Fish start to play better (ie. folding more to bets and raises).

Whilst starting hand edges, are going to be murkier in PLO8 than PLO, the generally tighter play required, may make a contrarian strategy of playing looser and covering the table, the best one.

Whilst NLHET&amp;P is a great book, the NL player has advantages over PL, and may fix a slight error made in a previous betting round by over-betting the pot. PL really requires planning through the hand, so that the pot size is a good one, in relation to your stack.

The foundation of the tight short-stack strategy, is to be All In, on the flop, or the turn with +EV pot equity, and blunt the LAG players weapon of bluffing. Having less money left improves your reverse implied odds, and pot odds to call, because you can't be Pushed off a hand when a scare card hits.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:06 PM

Hi All, I want to thank everyone for the good advise. I will check back in case anyone wants to add. Harry