Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 11:55 AM

Default Making Baby Back Ribs tonight, need help

Im making baby back ribs tonight on my grill. I've already got the ribs rubbed down and in the fridge overnight. I need to know the best method of cooking them on the grill(what temp,how long, etc...). I have a pretty nice stainless steel gas grill with 3 high temp burners if that helps.
Thanks
Old 08-14-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Making Baby Back Ribs tonight, need help

Both sides on High on the main rack for about 5-7 minutes each side. Then place them on a higher rack to cook indirectly for 45-60 minutes. You may want to turn the heat down to medium when you place them on the higher rack. You are slow cooking them at this point. The longer that they are cooking on the lower heat the more tender they should be.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:01 PM

get a thermometer if you dont have one built in, get your grill to stick at 225. Get a bunch of soaked wood chips in an aluminum container/tin foil w/ holes poked in the bottom. Put the aluminum container directly on top of the burners (underneath your cooking grate), and put your ribs on the top rack for 4 hoursish. Baste with apple juice during the last hour (@ 60, 30 15 min left of cook time)
Old 08-14-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
get a thermometer if you dont have one built in, get your grill to stick at 225. Get a bunch of soaked wood chips in an aluminum container/tin foil w/ holes poked in the bottom. Put the aluminum container directly on top of the burners (underneath your cooking grate), and put your ribs on the top rack for 4 hoursish. Baste with apple juice during the last hour (@ 60, 30 15 min left of cook time)

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this with my Big Green Egg (smoker/grill) occasionally and it is pretty great and worth the wait, but I don't have the patience for a 4 hour grill session anymore - especially since the Big Green Egg has to constantly be adjusted to keep it from going over 275 or under 225.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Solid advice. Also, here are a couple of ways to tell if the ribs are done. Use tongs to pick the rack of ribs up on one end (tongs will be parallel with the ribs). The ribs will bend and if you notice the meat tearing between the bones, then its time to pull the ribs. Another method is to grab then end of one of the rib bones, which should be exposed due to the meat drawing up, and give it a twist. If the rib bone will slightly twist within the meat, the ribs are done.

One other thing I'd add is that if you prefer your ribs wet, don't apply the sauce to the ribs until the last 15 to 20 minutes of cooking. If you put it on early in the cooking process, you run the risk of burning the sauce (due to the high sugar content of most bbq sauces).
Old 08-14-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this with my Big Green Egg (smoker/grill) occasionally and it is pretty great and worth the wait, but I don't have the patience for a 4 hour grill session anymore - especially since the Big Green Egg has to constantly be adjusted to keep it from going over 275 or under 225.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can absolutely cook ribs at a higher temperature than 225, although you will run the risk of the ribs drying out if you do so. To counter this, you should baste the ribs every 30 minutes with something like apple juice, like guids mentioned, or even italian dressing or beer. Basting sauce options are limitless. But the point I'm trying to make is that my grill has run as hot as 300 degrees before and I've still been able to turn out great tasting moist ribs.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:22 PM

Yeah I guess my ribs do turn out a little dryer than I would like - I will start basting them next time and see what I think. Does the apple juice cause a strong apple flavor? Thats what I was always afraid of - I use apple-flavored wood chips when I smoke meat on there but it isn't that strong of a flavor.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:24 PM

A friend of mine boils his first for >1 hour. I want to say they're actually on the grill for less than 30 min. They were fall off the bone GOOD!
Old 08-14-2007, 12:31 PM

1) put on rub
2) brown on grill
3) wrap in tin foil with bell peppers, onions, a couple of limes, beer, bbq sauce
4) cook at approximately 325 for 3+ hours

be sure the tin foil is sealed well. the ribs will be super tender with good flavor

enjoy
Old 08-14-2007, 12:36 PM

sweet i just got a weber bullet the other day and for the inaugural smoke I did 2 slabs of baby backs. I used a rib rub of brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, sea salt, and black pepper. They turned out pretty good. Just used SweetBaby Ray's for the mop at the end - I wasn't ready to make my own sauce yet. Used maybe a little too much smoke for my taste. I also had a hard time keeping the temp up because I started with only 1 chimney of charcoal and probably should have used 2. As a result they took about 6 hours before they were done and I had to light 15 or 20 briquettes in the chimney a couple times and "tong" them into the chamber one at a time.