Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 12:32 PM

Default Player seating

How do you guys deal with player seating at your home game? Do you do it random where everyone draws a card or is it detrimed by first come first serve. Up to now at my game its been first come first serve but I was thinking of changing it. I have one guy who tends to showup extra early to always take the seat to my left beside me. I gerenally have alot of chips and used to out play this guy. He must be studying poker as he uses his position better then he used to. My seat never changes as its by my desk/phone/chips and so on.
I was thinking of having everyone draw a card as they show up (cards numbered 1-8). Whatever number card I draw would be the seat next to my desk and the rest of the cards who follow. The first guy that shows up would draw a card as would I and as the players came, they would draw there cards.

Questions
1- should I do the random drawing?
2 Can I make my seat the same?
3- Should I just forget about it and have the seating first come first serve as its always been.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Player seating

My Games:

Tourney: card draw.
CashGame: first to grab a seat.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My Games:

Tourney: card draw.
CashGame: first to grab a seat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-19-2006, 02:23 PM

You should do a random drawing with cards. Actually, I've never been to a home tourney where you can pick your own seat.

As for your seat, yes you can keep it the same. Just pick your own card, put it on your spot and then everyone fills in around you.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:46 PM

Thanks guys, 3 straight same answers good for me.
Card draw it is
Old 12-20-2006, 12:21 PM

FYI,

Just in case you didn't think of it, you don't need to make cards. just use a deck. A-8 of spades, A-8 of hearts. spades on one table, hearts on the other. Add in another suit for another table. Works good.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:26 AM

If this is not a tournament, then players should be allowed to choose there own seats. The only proble see is if multiple players want the same seat. You might not want to use the first come first served system for your home game, because you might not want people coming early. If that is the case when multiple players want the same seat you should have them draw cards to determine the order they get to choose seats.

I'm curious if you just object to this player being on your left or are the other players complaining that theyw ant the spot.

If this is a tournament then seats should be distributed at random, there is no problem with your keeping the same seat each time.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have one guy who tends to showup extra early to always take the seat to my left beside me

[/ QUOTE ]

That gives you extra training in how to BEAT a player who is learning how to use position.

BTW, why do you need to be physically located next to your chips and phone, at a single table game? Are they THAT untrustworthly? Do you allow yourself to answer the phone THAT often that you can't spend 2-3 seconds to get up and get the phone?

To answer your question, either everyone including the host gets random seating or everyone can pick. If you pick a particular seat, you get stuck with whatever seating choices others make.

My cash games are choose seating, as they come in. Tourneys, I assign seats as they come in, distributing equally among tables.

Each table usually draws for the button, although lately I've been giving early arrivers the button and late position seats. I'm trying to encourage arriving earlier so we can start earlier (closer to on time).
Old 12-21-2006, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this is not a tournament, then players should be allowed to choose there own seats. The only proble see is if multiple players want the same seat. You might not want to use the first come first served system for your home game, because you might not want people coming early. If that is the case when multiple players want the same seat you should have them draw cards to determine the order they get to choose seats.

I'm curious if you just object to this player being on your left or are the other players complaining that theyw ant the spot.

If this is a tournament then seats should be distributed at random, there is no problem with your keeping the same seat each time.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a tourment not a cash game. Its not really a problem having someone show up early. It is only himslef doing it and no one else has said anything. A few times we play elsewhere, I have noticed he waits untill I sit before he choses a seat, and yes its always beside me. My post here was simply to get other opinions. The other guy and myself would be considered the best players. Its clear the other guy has been studying books on position as he does talk off hand about it at times.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have one guy who tends to showup extra early to always take the seat to my left beside me

[/ QUOTE ]

That gives you extra training in how to BEAT a player who is learning how to use position.

BTW, why do you need to be physically located next to your chips and phone, at a single table game? Are they THAT untrustworthly? Do you allow yourself to answer the phone THAT often that you can't spend 2-3 seconds to get up and get the phone?

To answer your question, either everyone including the host gets random seating or everyone can pick. If you pick a particular seat, you get stuck with whatever seating choices others make.

My cash games are choose seating, as they come in. Tourneys, I assign seats as they come in, distributing equally among tables.

Each table usually draws for the button, although lately I've been giving early arrivers the button and late position seats. I'm trying to encourage arriving earlier so we can start earlier (closer to on time).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I would like advice on how to beat this type of player on my left.. He bluffs alot, often making odd bets ex, blinds 2-4 and he rasies 11 or 13.

My desk, computer phone and chips are right behind me. I have a computer program that runs the blinds and blinds decrease to 15 minutes when we are at 3 players and 10 minutes at 2 players which makes for minor adjustnments. We play that host runs the game, collects the money and so on.
I am not concerned that someone else couldn't do it. The chair for the desk is a high back one and much nicer then the rest. The room is kinda of tight so, if I was on the other side, others would have to adjust their chair so I could get by.