Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 02:32 AM

Default Correct river decision after villian check behind...

Villian appears to be pretty darn aggressive, at least pre-flop. What should I do here? Check/call, bet/fold, or bet/call? I seem to really suck at these river decisions.

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.66 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks.

River: (6.66 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero ?</font>
Old 06-12-2007, 02:53 AM

Default Re: Correct river decision after villian check behind...

I bet/call. Let him call with AJ/AK here. I don't buy a bluff from him either.

If he has diamonds, they're big ones. So I think he might bet them again on the turn.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If he has diamonds, they're big ones. So I think he might bet them again on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this. I would never b/f in this spot against this guy but I think I wuzz out too much and c/c. Ty Danza!
Old 06-12-2007, 05:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this. I would never b/f in this spot against this guy but I think I wuzz out too much and c/c. Ty Danza!

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, good, I b/c, but I thought it was probably wrong. Cool, thanks.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:37 AM

he raises worse hands on the river?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:29 AM

Ugh. Bad spot, but I think bet/call is the worst option unless the guy is a maniac or something. I like check/call &gt; bet/fold &gt; check/fold &gt; bet/call.

What is that guy checking on the turn other than a big flush draw? Not much.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian appears to be pretty darn aggressive

[/ QUOTE ]

prett darn as in this hand? Or the last 50 hands? With the board paired and flushed one might turn Republican and go the conservative route...check/call. That river fits well with one possible draw. However, i like danza's thinking

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he checked the turn because he had no draw and he felt he was behind. Behind to a T or behind to a Q? That's not close for me. If he's got a hint of bite in him he's not scared of a T. He can't beat the Q. If he checked the turn because he was behind I'd have a hard time believing he'd raise with a worse hand on the river. So I don't give him a worse hand when he raises a river bet.

I think this is a scenario a la Sklansky where our villain will call our river bet more often than he will bet himself.

I bet/fold this river.

If I wasn't clear it's because I live in a strange fog!
Old 06-12-2007, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think b/c is probably wrong Brass. For me this is either a B/F or C/C decision given that specific river card. If I dont trust this guy I check/call and let him bluff/bet with whatever hand he could have. Since I like showing down against most opponents, I am check/calling that specific river most of the time. Paying two bets on the river is too much here. In general, whenever someone runs the freecard play against you on a flush draw flop and the flush card hits the river, paying 2 bets on the river with one pair will be giving too much action. There are plenty of exceptions to this idea as there are exceptions to any strategy playing poker, but most of time you should be check/calling or bet/folding.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think b/c is probably wrong Brass. For me this is either a B/F or C/C decision given that specific river card. If I dont trust this guy I check/call and let him bluff/bet with whatever hand he could have. Since I like showing down against most opponents, I am check/calling that specific river most of the time. Paying two bets on the river is too much here. In general, whenever someone runs the freecard play against you on a flush draw flop and the flush card hits the river, paying 2 bets on the river with one pair will be giving too much action. There are plenty of exceptions to this idea as there are exceptions to any strategy playing poker, but most of time you should be check/calling or bet/folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

ILP you are my Hero and I have learned so much from your posts the last 18 months.

But applying any strategy that involves folding in this spot with that action against a villain of that description is just plain horrible IMO.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ILP you are my Hero and I have learned so much from your posts the last 18 months.

But applying any strategy that involves folding in this spot with that action against a villain of that description is just plain horrible IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was speaking in general terms Oink, I would never bet/fold this guy in my life. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] My point is most of the time this should be a Bet/fold or Check/call decision for the hero, and against most players I would gladly check/call.