Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 11:47 AM

Default Allergies

Ok, I have had the worst allergies lately. Like sneezing a ridiculous amount, always congested...its so annoying. i've tried Flonase or something (a spray), claritin, and some other form of spray and they blatantly aren't working.

Anybody have something they use or something they've done that will work?

This is getting absolutely annoying and I'm sick of spending on crap that doesn't get the job done.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Allergies

Two suggestions I've received that have helped when I do them, is to eat local honey and to drink more water. I've definitely felt better with those remedies. The downside is, they're more of a longer term fix than for right at this moment.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:58 AM

Allergy-free ftw.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:05 PM

My friend had very severe hay fever allergies, but ever since he started smoking pot, he's never allergic any more. He used to be the guy during allergy season whose nose was always bright red (from wiping) and drippy and eyes watery and goes through boxes of tissues a day. Since he started smoking pot, I haven't seen him like that and it's been about two years (it was worst for him in the Spring and Fall). I on the other hand have been suffering. He's definitely not on allergy medicine because he's "tried them all and they [censored] [him] up."

Clarification: It works even when he's not high.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:07 PM

FGators,
Try Allegra-D along with Rhinocort. The -D is basically a ton of decongestant added to the antihistamine. Flonase,Rhinocort, etc take weeks to really start working. They're more preventative tahn anything else. IOW, by the time you need them you should have been using them for a couple weeks beforehand.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:36 PM

If you want immediate relief, use Afrin, I recommend the "Severe Congestion" variety. Make sure you get the "pump mist" kind, the old drip bottles suck.

This stuff clears me up within a few minutes from just about any condition. It's seriously my miracle cure.

However, there is a big downside. You can't take this stuff for more than a day or two at a time. If you do, your body quickly becomes dependent, it stops working well, and when you do finally stop your symptoms are overwhelmingly bad. It doesn't have a "memory" though, so you can use it a couple times, then use it later in the month with no problems. You've been warned, Afrin addiction is not at all uncommon.

However when used correctly, it has gotten me through a lot of tough spots (plane flights, important events, etc - anything really important that will be disrupted by allergies). The regular allergy meds do work, but most of them take time. If you're really struggling go to an allergist, most cities have them. Mine turned out to be the best doctor I've ever been too, I usually go to him first for any kind of medical problem now.

Also I've found lately that too much medicine can cause me as much trouble as not enough. Sometimes when I'm frustrated with symptoms I'll just back off the medicine completely and it'll fix me up.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I have had the worst allergies lately. Like sneezing a ridiculous amount, always congested...its so annoying. i've tried Flonase or something (a spray), claritin, and some other form of spray and they blatantly aren't working.

Anybody have something they use or something they've done that will work?

This is getting absolutely annoying and I'm sick of spending on crap that doesn't get the job done.

[/ QUOTE ]

1 big hepa filter in the house, plus small plug in hepa filters in each room combined with Rhinocourt and Allegra should get the job done.

Alternatively, try acupuncture. Seriously.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:44 PM

if they are consistently bad, get injected with concentrated allergens.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:50 PM

I used to get the really bad every mid-august through september. Now I take Claritin every day from end of July until the snow falls in MN and I'm 90% cured. Key, as others said, start taking it early and make sure to take it every day, even if you don't feel symptoms. It's not that expensive - you can find 90-pill bottles of generic at Walgreens and such for like $20 IIRC. $20 for the whole season is nothing.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if they are consistently bad, get injected with concentrated allergens.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reaction I had to this was worse than allergies + flu combined. YMMV