Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 11-20-2007, 08:22 PM

Default Re: English-only policy

[ QUOTE ]
The two employees, who were clothes sorters, had been working at the Salvation Army for about five years before the Salvation Army decided to enforce their English language rule. One would think the Salvation Army would have a hard time proving that they weren't able to communicate with them if they had already been kept on for five years.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_505139.html

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying the Salvation army is right, but it's still ridiculous.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Passed over for that manager spot at Taco Bell?

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't see the double standard? maybe it's like at uni where only whites can be racist, by definition.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never heard of any professional being told they needed to learn Spanish. Not sure what you mean by double standard. I am cool with employers requiring whatever language skills they want whether it be English or anything else they think the job requires.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've never heard of it? It's almost required to know Spanish to get into Med school here in Texas. A lot of jobs have someone who knows Spanish given an advantage over someone who doesn't if they have to deal with customers. You must live north of the Mason Dixon line.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't see the double standard? maybe it's like at uni where only whites can be racist, by definition.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never heard of any professional being told they needed to learn Spanish. Not sure what you mean by double standard. I am cool with employers requiring whatever language skills they want whether it be English or anything else they think the job requires.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've never heard of it? It's almost required to know Spanish to get into Med school here in Texas. A lot of jobs have someone who knows Spanish given an advantage over someone who doesn't if they have to deal with customers. You must live north of the Mason Dixon line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in NY now but I grew up in Texas. Right after I typed that I thought about doctors. Most of my friends now work in finance or are in school and I play poker so I know I don't have the greatest sample. I still think that it is something that people like Rush get irate about but most normal people don't really care.

I have met a few Post Docs from China that where just learning english when they got their job but they are so talented that their really could be no englsh speakers that can do what they are doing.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uh oh tom, get ready for personal attack. someting like, hey, what you didn't into school cause u too dumb?

honestly i think the ridicule must be being taught officially or unofficially cause so many people use it.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uh oh tom, get ready for personal attack. someting like, hey, what you didn't into school cause u too dumb?

honestly i think the ridicule must be being taught officially or unofficially cause so many people use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still think that it is something that people like Rush get irate about but most normal people don't really care.

[/ QUOTE ]

mostly lower middle class who get low city jobs and and private sector operator call center customer service, a whole bunch of stuff.

in other words the jobs that most people have.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and the pundits wonder why american public is mad about illegal immigration when everyday people are explicitly told they need to be bilingual (speak spanish) in order to get a good job, keep a good job, move up the ladder, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Society drives business...not the other way around. Pundits are idiots that create problems so they have something to complain about.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider myself to be a "professional" and my superiors recently posted a memo requiring all personnel working in an "Enforcement" capacity to complete the state's mandatory "Tactical Spanish Communication" course.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I still think that it is something that people like Rush get irate about but most normal people don't really care.

[/ QUOTE ]

mostly lower middle class who get low city jobs and and private sector operator call center customer service, a whole bunch of stuff.

in other words the jobs that most people have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a good point. I guess that is one of the bad things about having a job which doesn't require special training or education. You also will get fired much quickly for things like being chronically ill as compared to highly trained professionals. Do you think their should be laws that don't allow employers to discriminate on the basis of knowing spanish? Seems ridiculous to me.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider myself to be a "professional" and my superiors recently posted a memo requiring all personnel working in an "Enforcement" capacity to complete the state's mandatory "Tactical Spanish Communication" course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i mean this seems totally reasonable. Its not like people are loosing their jobs because they didn't get the symbolism in a passage of Don Quixote. Do you think that having this training will make you better at your job?