Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: sb openraises and hero is in the bb with 22-77.
call 12 32.43%
raise 25 67.57%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2006, 12:12 PM

Default Demon 2: Dust to Dust - Game Thread

Following are the Rules, Roles, and the Day 1 Introduction. Please read through the Rules and Roles carefully, even if you read them in the sign-up thread, as there have been some changes. All Roles were PM'd last night.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Demon 2: Dust to Dust - Game Thread

Rules

Day 1 begins now, and will end at 10pm EST tomorrow. There-after, majority rules and no time limits are set. All votes must be bolded. Votes within a quote box are not counted. Players may decide, with a 2/3 majority, to abstain from killing anyone during the day. A simple majority is required for an execution.

Most characters have their roles revealed when executed. No roles are publicly revealed for night deaths unless specifically noted in the Role description. Demons and the Demon Hunter learn the role of their night victim, unless otherwise noted.

No night posting is permitted. A dead character may PM me final words, and I will post them at my discretion.

The Demon Hunter and his Assistant may PM each other once each day, and may chat freely at night. All characters who are Demons or were Demons may chat privately at any time. The Diabolist may only join the Demon chat when actively housing a Demon.

Demons may choose one of three actions each night: Do nothing, kill a player, or possess a player. One Demon is chosen to carry out the night action, provided they do not abstain. When possessing a player, the acting Demon dies and the targeted player becomes a Demon. If the intended target is protected or immune to possession, the Demon does not die. If the possession is successful, the possessor will be listed as dead (or missing, etc.) in the day write-up, and no mention is made of his/her role or the newly possessed Demon.

It is possible for a Demon’s and Demon Hunter’s night actions to conflict. Action order will be determined with a coin flip.

Anyone who does not post or PM me for a full day/night cycle will be replaced. Anyone who does not vote two days in a row will be replaced. Active participation is crucial in this game, so please take the time to post at least once each day.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:13 PM

Roles
Please note that any role may have additional abilities not listed here.

<u>Role Title:</u> Villager
<u>Immunities:</u> None
<u>Abilities:</u> None
<u>Private Chat:</u> None
<u>Win Condition:</u> All Demons are dead, at least 3 villagers are still alive (includes Priest and Oracle), and the Demon Hunter has won or lost.

<u>Role Title:</u> Angel
<u>Immunities:</u> Immune to possession, but vulnerable to night kills. If the Angel is targeted for possession, he learns the identity of the Demon who made the attempt.
<u>Abilities:</u> Can protect one player other than himself each night. This protection prevents death and possession. If his ward is targeted for death, the Angel learns the name (but not the role) of the attacker. The Angel gains no information if an attempt is made to possess his ward.
Each night, the Angel has a chance to discover if the Priest has been possessed.
<u>Private Chat:</u> None, but the Angel knows the identity of the Priest.
<u>Win Condition:</u> Same as Villager, but the Angel cannot be counted towards the number of surviving Villagers.

<u>Role Title:</u> Priest
<u>Abilities:</u> Uknown
<u>Win Condition:</u> Same as Villager.

<u>Role Title:</u> Oracle
<u>Immunities:</u> Immune to Possession
<u>Abilities:</u> Receives a PM at daybreak with the identity and roles of everyone who died during the night.
The Oracle is always listed as a regular villager if killed.
<u>Win Condition:</u> Same as Villager.

<u>Role Title:</u> Executioner (Amplify)
<u>Abilities:</u> The Executioner’s vote counts as 3 votes. After half of the players are dead, the Executioner’s voting power is reduced to 2.
<u>Death Reveal:</u> The Executioner is a publicly known role. The first Executioner is randomly selected from the list of Villagers (including the Priest and Oracle). If the Executioner is killed during the game, a new Executioner is voted on in the thread (simple majority) before an execution can occur.
<u>Win Condition:</u> Depends on Role. The Executioner can be pro-Village, pro-Demon, or pro-Hunter. A possessed Executioner retains his enhanced voting.

<u>Role Title:</u> Demon Hunter
<u>Immunities:</u> He cannot be killed at night, and he will commit suicide if possessed (destroying himself and the demon). If a demon targets him for death, the attempt simply fails.
<u>Abilities:</u> Must kill one player during the night if the village failed to lynch a Demon or the Diabolist during the day. The Hunter may opt to kill someone during the night even if the village did lynch an evil player.
Each night, the Hunter has a chance to discover if his assistant has been possessed.
The Demon Hunter’s role is revealed if he dies during the night.
<u>Private Chat:</u> Only with the Hunter’s Assistant
<u>Win Condition:</u> All Demons and the Diabolist must be dead, and the Demon Hunter must be alive.

<u>Role Title:</u> Hunter’s Assistant
<u>Abilities:</u> The Assistant appears as a villager if lynched.
<u>Private Chat:</u> Only with the Demon Hunter
<u>Win Condition:</u> Same as Demon Hunter. If the Demon Hunter dies, the Assistant receives a new win condition.

<u>Role Title:</u> Demon (There are 4 Demons)
<u>Abilities:</u> Each night the Demons may choose one of their numbers to possess or kill a target player. If a Demon successfully possesses a target, the Demon “dies” and the newly possessed player becomes a Demon.
<u>Private Chat:</u> Demons may chat with one another at any time during the game. Any player who was a Demon at any time during the game may join the chat.
<u>Win Condition:</u> The Demon Hunter, Hunter’s Assistant, Angel, and Priest are all dead, and at least 1 Demon is alive.

<u>Role Title:</u> Diabolist
<u>Immunities:</u> If possessed by a Demon the Diabolist acts as a conscious vessel. The Demon will still “die”, but the Diabolist does not become a Demon. The Demon within the Diabolist can use the night action on a subsequent turn to leave the Diabolist and possess another player. The Diabolist can participate in the Demon chat while housing a Demon spirit.
If the Diabolist is targeted for death by a Demon, the Diabolist does not die, and the Demons learn the Diabolist’s identity.
If the Diabolist is killed while housing a Demon, both of them are destroyed.
<u>Abilities:</u> The Diabolist always knows which players are Demons.
<u>Private Chat:</u> Only while inhabited by a Demon.
<u>Win Condition:</u> Same as Demon
Old 08-28-2006, 12:13 PM

Any questions regarding the rules or roles should be sent to me privately. I will post the question and answer in the thread.

Anyone who skimmed the rules or roles posts above, please take a moment to go back and read through them more carefully. Thanks!

And away we go…
Old 08-28-2006, 12:19 PM

<u>Day 1</u>
For eight years dust blew on the southern plains. It came in a yellowish-brown haze from the South and in rolling walls of black from the North. The simplest acts of life — breathing, eating a meal, taking a walk — were no longer simple. Children wore dust masks to and from school, women hung wet sheets over windows in a futile attempt to stop the dirt, farmers watched helplessly as their crops blew away.

On the 14th of April, 1935, an unlikely group of people came together out of both design and circumstance. On that fateful Sunday, Black Sunday as it would later be known, the worst dust storm of the era blew across the plains and blotted out the sun. Winds were strong enough to throw cars across a football field, and the drifts of dirt and top-soil were large enough to bury a house.

Amidst the storm, residents of the small town of Providence took shelter in the general store (the only building with a cellar). A number of folks traveling through the area wandered into the town after their car engines choked to death on the dirt. Soon, the small store was host to an assortment of residents and travelers seeking sanctuary from the dirt blizzard.

The soft light of an oil lamp cast shadows among the shelves of dried meats, jarred candy, gardening tools, and canned goods. Twenty-three voices chatted away, passing the time with talk of the depression, the storm, baseball, and local church politics. Not long after the windows and doors were boarded to keep the dust out, everyone grew quiet and looked curiously at Jonsan as he writhed on the ground.

Those who knew him did not recognize the voice coming from his mouth, or the language it spoke. Harsh, guttural sounds formed unintelligible words that could only be curses and blasphemies. The crowd watched in horror as the afflicted man’s body began to twist and tear while green bile leaked from his mouth and nose. The sound of popping joints and breaking bones created an infernal rhythm underneath the incessant chant.

Blood trickled from small tears in Jonsan’s flesh where his limbs were bent at impossible angles. With obvious effort, he stopped chanting and spoke two words in his own voice.

Help me, the plea was punctuated by a deafening blast. Amplify, the store owner, had retrieved his revolver from behind the counter to end his friend’s suffering. With the still smoking gun resting in his hand, Amplify looked up at the small crowd.

Now what? he asked.

<u>Current Player List:</u>
aaronk
Amplify
Boiler_bd
chuckles
fnord_too
GT1T
Hornacek
IronYuppie
Kyro
KyrosMother
MDoranD
metsandfinsfan
Pistolero
ScottHoward
Shortline
Sighing
spook
StephenH
VR
wdcbooks
xorbie
Zurvan

Day will end at 10pm EST on 8/29/2006 or when a majority is reached, whichever comes first.

Durron is acting as a co-mod. He will pop in for vote counts and declaring night when I am not available.

PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS YOUR ROLE WITH PEOPLE OUTSIDE THE GAME. This includes folks who were in the game and died. I don't want to corrupt our pool of potential subs, and you never know if a dead player is still in Demon chat.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:23 PM

Now what?

Lynch shortline, that's what.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now what?

Lynch shortline, that's what.

[/ QUOTE ]
The best part about all this villagerness is that I finally don't have to be manipulative and yell at people anymore! Yay!
Old 08-28-2006, 12:24 PM

Hmm.. that's exactly what you said in the last game.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm.. that's exactly what you said in the last game.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I said something different. I'm too lazy to find the difference. But I know what I said.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:29 PM

*** MOD NOTE ***

I am an assistant mod for this game. Unlike Mish-Mash 3, I am an ASSISTANT MOD. I will not do day or night writeups. However I will know everyones role and be available to call night/lock thread on majority.

Also,

I deleted kyro's and shorty's posts before Jonsan had finished making all the game's posts. Those posts were made before the game officially began.

*** MOD NOTE ***