Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Experienced full table LHE tips?

I've typically played SNGs (several thousand in the past few years) and done decently (my ROI is above 0 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) but I'm getting somewhat disenchanted with them. The fact that any sort of internet connectivity issues can *drastically* affect your ROI if you're multitabling, and the fact that you're basically locked in timewise to play are frustrating facets of playing SNGs for a living.

I'm looking to move into cash games. LHE seems like the perfect option - lots of rake and FPP, a fairly consistent winrate, perhaps less variance than SNGs (thoughts?), and so on.

Anyway, I'm looking for some tips on full table LHE (not actual poker but the "management" aspect).

* My winrate over a session of 1300 hands is some bb/100. Is this statistically meaningful or insignificant? What is a good number of hands to play to obtain 80-90% confidence on your winrate?

* VPIP 18%, W2SD 40.1%, W$@SD 59.8%, PFR 11.4%, PFAF 1.27, FAF 1.91, TAF 1.57, RAF 1.53. Anything stand out?

* My bankroll for this limit (3/6 currently) is approximately 900xBB. Is this sufficient?

* Thoughts on best/softest games (in the 3/6 to 15/30 range)? Stars? Party? Absolute (lol, kidding)? Thoughts on time of day/week when the games are the best?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Experienced full table LHE tips?

[ QUOTE ]

* My winrate over a session of 1300 hands is some bb/100. Is this statistically meaningful or insignificant? What is a good number of hands to play to obtain 80-90% confidence on your winrate?

[/ QUOTE ]

not even close. i don't remember how to calculate confidence intervals, and it also requires your standard deviation, but 100k is a good round number to get to for a good estimate of winrate.

[ QUOTE ]

* VPIP 18%, W2SD 40.1%, W$@SD 59.8%, PFR 11.4%, PFAF 1.27, FAF 1.91, TAF 1.57, RAF 1.53. Anything stand out?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not really familiar with full ring stats, but it seems fine. also not terribly significant over so small a sample size. post them again when you get to 50k.

[ QUOTE ]

* My bankroll for this limit (3/6 currently) is approximately 900xBB. Is this sufficient?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is fine. in fact, i'd be comfortable with 500 bets playing low limit full ring.

you may also want to consider playing 6-max unless you have a specific reason for playing full ring.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said above. Don't put too much stock into your winrate, anyway--remember that it is less a result of your own good play than it is a result of your opponents' poor play. As you gain in experience, you'll have a pretty good idea of where you stand vs. the average players at your stakes.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're running hot. Your W2SD is a tad high (your particular style matters, but generally it's going to be in the mid- to high 30s) and your W$@SD is very high (should be more like 52-53%, especially given your high W2SD). Don't worry about making adjustments to your game here, though, as the sample size is too small for these results to mean anything other than a brief upswing. You do need to increase your postflop aggression, though--each street should be above 2, even approaching 3. Remember that there is far less risk involved when making postflop raises in LHE than in NL (or in NL SNGs), and ditto for making the initial bets. Your opponents will be betting more lightly than you're used to, and so you likewise need to be a bit more willing to raise. And to make tough value bets on the end, when you don't have to worry about a check/raise all in forcing you to fold.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah. The recommended bankroll is 300-500xBB. Full ring LHE games tend to have lower variance than short-handed, so you can skew towards the shorter end of that range. Of course this assumes that you're a winning player at this game & stakes.

[ QUOTE ]
* Thoughts on best/softest games (in the 3/6 to 15/30 range)? Stars? Party? Absolute (lol, kidding)? Thoughts on time of day/week when the games are the best?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been a while since I played regularly enough to say, but in general the early AM hours on the US East Coast are the best; that's likely not true on Party & other non-US sites. Weekends are almost always better than weeknights, as the drunks & recreational players log on to try their luck without having to worry about work in the morning. The only site where I have anything resembling meaningful recent experience at 3/6 is Full Tilt, and those games are most assuredly not easy pickings.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:49 PM

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I'll report in (if I remember, anyway) after a bit more of a taste of LHE. I only play around a thousand hands a day at the moment so it may be a couple weeks.

Re: Full table vs 6max, I enjoy playing full table, I think I'm just a bit more calibrated to hand strength and such. I've never had much long term luck with multitabling 6max - I can 1 table 6max or 6table full ring with about the same success.