Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Hired an Interior Designer

Before/after pics would be fine, but the important thing is that he gives you what you want, even if it's not what he likes. And especially even if it's not what this forum likes. Great idea to hire one by the way. I'd like to hear how it turns out, I might hire one when I move.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:45 PM

Here are some pics of the main floor. We're also going to do the master bedroom, but I was too lazy to walk upstairs and take pics.

The long narrow area is where I'd guess 75% of the work will be done.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:49 PM

I am connected somewhat to this industry and the markup always amazes me. I'd say its around 30-40%, which is just free money on top of the 125 an hour.

Also, a common scenario I see is ID's in cahoots with their regular suppliers. As an example, say a guy is selling a couch with a price tag of 3000. ID tacks on 30% and hands you a bill for 3900, but also cuts a 'volume deal' with the supplier and buys it from him for 2500.

Hello $1400 for ordering a couch. You obviously never see this on any invoice. It's kind of their bread and butter, but it is also often abused, since people who can hire ID's often have more cash at their disposal.

That being said, there are a lot of good ID's. It's one of those 'you have a calling' industries. You can't fake being good at it and when you're good at it, you don't need to fleece your clients.

Good luck, can't wait to see some pics.

What is the time frame you are working with?
Old 08-17-2007, 12:52 PM

No markup, just the flat fee. I trust this guy absolutely given the relationship, the guy who knows him is one of the smartest and most trustworthy guys I know and he did his own research on pieces he bought, so no worries there.

Timeframe is basically whenever. 2 weeks for presentation, I'd guess we make some tweaks from there, maybe a month to get everything done. I'm guessing finished product around late October?
Old 08-17-2007, 01:00 PM

Nice. It sounds like you are in good hands.

I just checked out your pics. From a professional standpoint, it pains me to see carpet on that beautiful staircase.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That being said, there are a lot of good ID's. It's one of those 'you have a calling' industries. You can't fake being good at it and when you're good at it, you don't need to fleece your clients.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can get ripped more with "interior decorators", since almost anyone can claim to be one of those.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:53 PM

Clark,

I hope that white light/fan combo on top of the dinner table won't be there in the near future.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:11 PM

I trust that your refrigerator being about 4 inches into the doorway is a temporary situation.

Oh, and your biggest expense will be hardwood floors. But, seems that will have to be down the road (i.e. probably not even a consideration now.)

Best of luck.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Clark,

I hope that white light/fan combo on top of the dinner table won't be there in the near future.

[/ QUOTE ]

I specifically told him I wanted it removed. One of my very very few direct requests.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I trust that your refrigerator being about 4 inches into the doorway is a temporary situation.

Oh, and your biggest expense will be hardwood floors. But, seems that will have to be down the road (i.e. probably not even a consideration now.)

Best of luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

The smaller one in the main entryway is there temporarily. It's making lots of noise and I wanted to be sure it was level. The other one will end up wherever he tells me. I told him I likely needed another one of those, or some alternate refrigerated wine storage that works well with the rest of the room.