Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Kind of a vague question...

Based on stats alone.... who are you less likely to donk bet into with a monster?

My standard play has typically been to lead into the PFR with monsters. I've been finding this hasn't been working lately with tightish players. I'm trying to figure out if I need to change my line here?

example from last night ($50 Pokerstars)-
Full stacks. I play a tight passive to tight aggressive game. Meaning I don't mind calling a lot of hands in mid-late position and seeing a flop for cheap. So my stats are vary from 20/5-14/5 depending on how the table is playing.

I believe at this point the villain had around a buyin and I had about $75.

1 limper. A 14%/6% player opens for $2.50. I call in the bb with 66. limper folds.

Flop 46J ($5.75)
I open for $4. Tight player folds.

Is my hand too obvious to a tight player? I think TIGHTER players recognize the donk lead as a monster. And the standard check/call, checkraise turn is better? Reserve the donkbet lead for LAGS?
Old 02-12-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Kind of a vague question...

Your goal with the set is to get his whole stack and since you are OOP you need to start building the pot so assume he has something and fling some chips in there.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:11 PM

I'm seeing similar things lately, but it could well be variance. They'll have AK/AQ here from time to time and just aren't going to put any money in the pot when they miss.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:16 PM

You should check raise the flop.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:17 PM

I've been c/r more and leading less, its been working well so far, seem to get less credit than the b/3bet which seems to = set way to often(especially when no combodraws exist)
Old 02-12-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your goal with the set is to get his whole stack and since you are OOP you need to start building the pot so assume he has something and fling some chips in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why I have traditionally always led here. The traditional play used to ALWAYS be to check/call with sets the checkraise the turn. I think the current trend of fastplaying monsters is being picked up and now the donkbet lead may be seen as a monster?

If my lead looks scary, then I'm folding tight players with their overcards too often and not getting any C-bets.

I'm only suggesting to lead into LAGS/calling stations... check to tight players.