Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 09:28 AM

Default ESPN to televise first 2 rounds of Masters

ESPN is taking over 1st and 2nd round coverage of the Masters from USA. Kind of sucks imo. At least Tirico is doing the hosting. With any luck at all, Berman will not get any airtime.

ESPN Story
Old 10-11-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Re: ESPN to televise first 2 rounds of Masters

This is bad but not the end of the world. This past year I watched the "Amen Corner" coverage over the internet and I think they used B-level commentators for that. Plus CBS loaned Faldo back to ESPN/ABC for the British last year so I'm sure they'll do that again since he has the weekend with CBS anyway.

The only real downer is that IMO ABC's analysts and course reporters were never as good as those from CBS and NBC, which is why I wasn't sad to see them give up the contract. Tirico is good though without question. I liked him every bit as much as Nantz and probably as much as Dan Hicks.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is bad but not the end of the world. This past year I watched the "Amen Corner" coverage over the internet and I think they used B-level commentators for that. Plus CBS loaned Faldo back to ESPN/ABC for the British last year so I'm sure they'll do that again, since he has the weekend with CBS anyway.

The only real downer is that IMO ABC's analysts and course reporters were never as good as those from CBS and NBC, which is why I wasn't sad to see them give up the contract. Tirico is good though without question. I liked him every bit as much as Nantz and probably as much as Dan Hicks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is this bad at all? And when did ABC ever have the coverage?

I like it just because that means I'll get the first two rounds in HD. As for Berman, given their history I'm not sure the Men of the Masters would let ESPN even think of putting him in the booth.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I like it just because that means I'll get the first two rounds in HD. As for Berman, given their history I'm not sure the Men of the Masters would let ESPN even think of putting him in the booth.

[/ QUOTE ]

"...and there, in the customary green jacket is ANGC chairman William 'House of' Payne..."
Old 10-11-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not really particularly bad, except that ABC/ESPN's coverage <<<<< CBS and NBC. But it's only two days, weekdays at that, so I'll deal.

As for the second question, you didn't read very closely. ABC had and still has the British. Until this latest contract it's the one tournament they retained when they gave up the rights to the rest of the events. I never said anything about them broadcasting the Masters.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not really particularly bad, except that ABC/ESPN's coverage <<<<< CBS and NBC. But it's only two days, weekdays at that, so I'll deal.

As for the second question, you didn't read very closely. ABC had and still has the British. Until this latest contract it's the one tournament they retained when they gave up the rights to the rest of the events. I never said anything about them broadcasting the Masters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I'm still missing something because I don't get what contract you're referring to that ABC gave up.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:06 PM

HP,

ABC broadcast roughly 1/3 of the PGA events up until this golf season. Now they only have the British, and also apparently the first two days of the Masters.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HP,

ABC broadcast roughly 1/3 of the PGA events up until this golf season. Now they only have the British, and also apparently the first two days of the Masters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, that's the bit of info. I didn't have. I also failed to think about how ESPN is affiliated with ABC.

As a complete aside, it's scary how many companies are affiliates under one big umbrella. Like the 30 Rock episode. I discovered this when I called to cancel one magazine subscription, and discovered I could cancel two others with the same customer service rep since Time, Inc. pretty much owns the magazine world.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for Berman, given their history I'm not sure the Men of the Masters would let ESPN even think of putting him in the booth.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-11-2007, 02:22 PM

The Masters was in HD this year on Thurs and Fri on Universal HD. Not sure if this was DirecTV only or not though.