Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Superbad rocks

I don't find kicks to the balls or staged lines like "suck dick at [censored] pussy" particularly funny, but despite that I laughed my ass off through most of this movie. The critics in this thread are making it sound as if the whole movie was slapstick physical comedy and dumb dick jokes. If that were the case I wouldn't have enjoyed it much.

The home economics scene had me dying. The Tiananmen Square drawing got me so bad I couldn't breathe.

There was a lot of subtle hilarity in Michael Cera's expressions and awkward exchanges. And Jonah Hill's desperate filthy rants were fantastic.

You could leave out the silly physical stuff like getting kicked in the nuts or getting hit by cars and the movie would still be hilarious. It would probably be better, actually.

I will agree that a lot of the cop stuff wasn't that good.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:19 AM

I lost it when they made Evan sing that song
Old 08-29-2007, 12:29 AM

The best part about that scene was then the scary dude puts his arm around Evan in a threatening way and says something like "Come on man, sing. Don't make this weird."
Old 08-29-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I lost it when they made Evan sing that song

[/ QUOTE ]

And then that song was on in the cop car when they're driving around looking for the house number.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The best part about that scene was then the scary dude puts his arm around Evan in a threatening way and says something like "Come on man, sing. Don't make this weird."

[/ QUOTE ]

AND IT'S DAVID KRUMHOLTZ!
Old 08-29-2007, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AND IT'S DAVID KRUMHOLTZ!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was a great wtf cameo.

The other dude had me thinking he was Billy Walsh for a while.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
did you guys know mclovin plays poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

just saw the movie last night...

how in the world have only 2 people mentioned the fact that mclovin looks exactly like bruiser?? and how has no one else followed up on it? when i first saw mclovin i swear i thought to myself, "omg bruiser from 2+2 became a celebrity by winning a tournament or somehow hollywood producers learned about his legendary status on the internet and picked him to play dork #3 from this movie"

i don't know bruiser personally, but the resemblence from the pictures i've seen is unbelievable. how are you people ignoring this fact?!???
Old 09-02-2007, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW TT, a big part of this movie is that the male leads are comfortable enough in their sexuality to make dick jokes and talk about loving eachother without being gay. I feel like anybody who watches it and then goes "THAT'S GAY" kinda got leveled hardcore by the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? You think those characters were comfortable with their sexuality? The entire [censored] movie appears to be sex and the weirdness of it. Which of those characters exhibits a confident, comfortable relationship to sex? Your reaction - apparent revulsion to the concept that they possibly could have had a gay encounter - seems pretty uncomfortable to me.

I thought the sleeping bag scene and its aftermath certainly had a pretty strong suggestion that they might have had a sexual encounter; I just saw the movie yesterday and was curious if anybody talked about it in this thread. The language the following day - "you don't have to leave," "I have your number, I'll call you" - appears to be very self consciously following stereotypical morning after patterns. Yes, it's possible that they were just embarrassed by their confessions from the night before, but it's not like that fits in with your thesis of comfortability either, and Seth sure was obsessed with dicks. This doesn't mean that the whole movie is necessarily about them being gay or not liking women.

EDIT: Also, while saying "Ha! He said 'I love you!' He must be gay!" is one unwarranted reaction, I think steadfastly refusing to consider that they might have fooled around is also pretty weird.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:57 AM

All three chicks were pretty hot IMO.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really feel I should hire Dids to make posts for my in pretty much every movie/tv thread.
It amazes me how many people either missed the point of Superbad (which shouldn't be that hard it isn't that complicated) or are more or less saying "Despite being exactly as advertised I hated it"

[/ QUOTE ]

Superbad will be very funny for people with low standards for humor

[/ QUOTE ]

Well done for proving you know next to nothing about comedy. Some of the most repsected comedians in the world list very lowbrow or physical acts as their favourite forms of comedy. There is far more to comedy than very clever witticisms and observations.

[/ QUOTE ]

slapstick and physical comedy can be great when it's original. I love Naked Gun and Mel Brookes etc etc...but far too much of Superbad was just unoriginal dick and [censored] jokes.

[/ QUOTE ]
IMO most of the humour in Superbad is situation or character based and the dick and [censored] jokes aren't gratuitous. Perhaps it is because I'm not highbrow enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

The movie's content is low, but it is exceptionally well written.