Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 01:00 AM

Default I CANT SPIN

This is driving me crazy. I was watching that reality show on the golf channel with all these crappy golfers and they hit pitching wedges to the green and the ball stops dead and spins back 3 feet

I cant do this. Even when i smoke a lob wedge in from 80 yds out, the ball hits and releases like 5 yards forwards. I can't tell if it's me or if the greens on the course up here. I hit down on the ball so nicely, take a little divot, and...nothing

i'm like a 12 handicap. this is a little part of my game that's annoying the [censored] out of me

i typically play with hx tour balls

advice? drills?
Old 05-29-2007, 01:22 AM

Default Re: I CANT SPIN

I play like that too, but I hit a low running draw, so I'm used to it.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:22 AM

You have to have a lot of things going for you to make the ball spin back. Soft, fast bent grass greens, good lie, good ball, clean grooves, green tilted towards you, little wind in your face. Bermuda greens are totally different because that first bounce is usually firm. If you're taking a good divot and hitting a HX tour solidly 80 yards with a lob wedge you arent doing anything wrong. Just allow for that first five yard bounce, check, and a couple yards of release. Cut spin stops a lot quicker than draw spin so if you're hitting a draw try hitting a cut.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:08 AM

If you hit the ball solid with the proper equipment (golf ball, decent grooves) then the ball will spin. If the conditions are correct (soft greens, slope, etc) then you will be able so see the effects of that spin more. It is rare for a good player to "try" to spin it, and is often more common for tour players to try to make the ball spin less.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:55 PM

I have a spin issue too. I get some spin on the shots you describe, my lob from 80 stops usually within one foot from where it lands. (which I am fine with, I'm no pro)

I get huge spin on par threes where i hit off a short tee (1/8 inch teed up) this can cause problems when the flag is back, cause if I hit a 7 or 8 iron to the pin, it will spin back 20 30 40 feet depending on slope of the green. If I hit off the tee box (no tee) the spin is much less, sometimes even get a release. This leads me to beleive that 10-18 h-caps like you and I just dont strike the ball quite a crisply as needed (off the ground) to generate the pro spin most of the time.

BTW my gear Pro V1X, C-Way Irons, 40 dollar clearance 60 degree LW (Dont think this really matters unless the grooves are packed with mud.)

Good luck.... but I think knowing what the ball will do when it lands is a big plus. The only issue I can see you having is clearing a hazard with the pin just beyond. (you would like it to stick or come back for you)
Old 05-29-2007, 03:13 PM

I would guess you've probably hit a few shots that felt "thin" and ended up spinning more than your usual shot?
Old 05-29-2007, 03:27 PM

^that's me.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would guess you've probably hit a few shots that felt "thin" and ended up spinning more than your usual shot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thin to spin! One of my friends use to always hit those shots. He would basically skull them and they somehow end up taking one huge bounce and biting.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thin to spin! One of my friends use to always hit those shots. He would basically skull them and they somehow end up taking one huge bounce and biting.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea wtf is up with that? seems counter intuitive

from what people are saying it sounds like it isn't me. Just that the greens in NH aren't conducive to stopping anything. guess i'll report back if i ever play on sick nice greens
Old 05-29-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont catch many thin...if anything I get a little "Oprah" on shots.... but those dont usually make it to the green, so spin doesnt matter.