Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf

Old 11-21-2007, 12:22 PM

Default Playing Lessons from the Pros.

I have had cable for around a year and am just realizing that the Golf Channel is number 1-oh-something...

Has anybody watched "Playing Lessons from the Pros?" I just caught a couple episodes and I think this is a fantastic program. Very insightful. Here is how the GC promos the show...

<font color="blue">Where else can you have Jack Nicklaus give you pointers on long-iron play, or hear John Daly tell you why his backswing goes so far past parallel? Many more - names like Lopez, Faldo, Janzen, Feherty - take us on a casual practice round, discussing their game, course strategy and practical tips along the way. </font>

I watched Allan Doyle last night. Very down to earth. Seems like a guy that really knew how to get the most out of his talent on the course/tour. It is great to hear the players talk and share their experiences. Give it a try. Here is a link to the schedule: Playing Lessons from the Pros.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Playing Lessons from the Pros.

Doesn't Allen Doyle have like the ugliest swing in the history of professional golf? Not that he can't teach but I swear when he was in contention in Sr. majors all Johnny Miller would talk about is his swing.

Anyway, caught just a snippet just yesterday, it was Hale Irwin. At your recommendation I'll have to check it out. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:11 PM

Yeah I like this show too.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't Allen Doyle have like the ugliest swing in the history of professional golf?

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG it is like he has no backswing. Here is an excerpt from an interview:

Q. Could you just talk a little bit about how you became comfortable with your own golf swing, how you got, you know, to the point that you said I can play in this league, I can run with these guys, and have, the process growing up or whatever for you?

ALLEN DOYLE: The process was I had to put blinders on and I had to put earplugs in my ears because everyplace I went, they'd snicker and they'd scratch their heads and they'd wonder how it happened. I can remember in this event too when I was a rookie the first two rounds I played with (Ray) Floyd and (Jack) Nicklaus and I am thinking to myself how did I get stuck in this pairing, my God, I wish -- because I would have rather been stuck with two anonymous guys. But the night before I told myself well, if you look at the stat sheet, I have a better stroke average than they do. I hit more greens than they did. I hit more fairways than they do. My sand save percentage is better. Almost everything I was doing that year in the short period of time that we had played, my statistics were superior to theirs.

So I just said just go out and put on your blinkers and putt in your ear plugs so you don't hear or you don't see people turning to people saying what the hell is with this guy, how does he do it, so it didn't take me long because basically what I had to do at every level that I went to, you know, when I went from playing to the state tournaments it was the same thing, playing in regional, playing in national then playing on the Nike, playing on the Tour, it was the same thing, so I had to actually had gone through it three, four times and I knew that the ball didn't know any better. That if I could repeat that swing and make the shots and all the putts, that I didn't know where I'd fall, but I knew I'd give myself the best chance to succeed and I would fall someplace between the top and the bottom -- I just wanted to see more closer to the top.

Q. When you were unhappy with your swing, who did you go to that knows your swing that can look, you know, help you and not try to remake your swing?

ALLEN DOYLE: I have not ever seen anybody. There is no one -- I go to the range and I will hit balls and do makeshift things until I get the ball starting to do -- you know, what I historically do with the ball draw it a little, so I have always been able to go to the range and beat balls for a certain period of time to get the ball to do what I want it to and that's, you know, that's the way I have always worked with my swing.

Q. When Jim Furyk was looking to go to college he talked to a lot of coaches. He went to the school where the coach said you know what, I am not going to touch your swing, it's just fine the way it is. Is there anybody in your history that sort of said to you the same thing, don't mess with it?

ALLEN DOYLE: Oh, yeah, where I caddied there was an old pro there and all the assistants always were trying to change me, and he would see this process and he grabbed me aside one day, he said two things. One, don't ever take any lessons from someone that can't beat you, because why can't they translate that to themselves to make them better golfers, and then two, if you could drive the ball straight and you could chip and putt, it will shock you how many guys you will be able to beat and how well you will play day after day after day.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One, don't ever take any lessons from someone that can't beat you, because why can't they translate that to themselves to make them better golfers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hold to this theory because I am a 4 handicap, but not many touring pros would take lessons if that were the case. Who would Tiger go to?!
Old 11-21-2007, 04:47 PM

Definitely my favorite TGC program.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One, don't ever take any lessons from someone that can't beat you, because why can't they translate that to themselves to make them better golfers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hold to this theory because I am a 4 handicap, but not many touring pros would take lessons if that were the case. Who would Tiger go to?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Tiger would run through his filter everything Hank Haney says to him. Everything he's worked on has been with his own vision of a desired end result. Great teachers, and Haney is one of the best, understand from ball flight what needs to be changed if anything.

If I were to analyze Doyle, I'd look at his flight first, how the club moves next, and only then look at what his movement is to create that club movement. Too many people judge a swing on its aesthetics. The two purest strikers I have seen live are Trevino and Craig Stadler. You wouldn't put either of them in a swing "beauty" contest.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:13 PM

Just an update...

I am watching these with the wonders of DVR. I think the Allen Doyle episode was better than average.

The Helen Alfredsson was beyond boring. It was good for about a minute just to see an older woman keeping herself together so well.

Tim Clark had a pretty funny personality in that he just doesn't think much on the course. No deep swing thoughts. Just steady as we go.

Just trying to keep the golf forum alive and kicking as winter sets in. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just trying to keep the golf forum alive and kicking as winter sets in. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
And I for one appreciate it!

I'm sure the personality of the pro is a HUGE determinant in whether or not they're going to be watchable. I mean I guess you (hopefully) learn either way, but it would help if it wasn't boring as hell. That's why a personality like Doyle would be good regardless of his swing and not surprised to hear about Clark. All I've heard about him is that he's super chill and loves his beer. Doesn't sound like the type to overanalyze.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not surprised to hear about Clark. All I've heard about him is that he's super chill and loves his beer. Doesn't sound like the type to overanalyze.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing that was very interesting is that he always had trouble putting. When he holds his arms out in front of him - he is physically unable to turns his palms face up. Joking around about it he says when going through the drive thru he keeps a cup or hat in the car to get the change.

Anyway, he uses a long putter with a claw-like grip because he had trouble gripping a short putter. If you look at his setup with the club his arms are very close together - also because of this thing about his arms. He says because of this his club goes across the line at the top and there is nothing he can do to change it.

SwingVision