Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Neteller news March 16

Neteller Case Hearing Rescheduled To April 16

by Bob Ciaffone

The March 16, 2007 hearing of case of two former Neteller Board members, Stephen Lawrence and John Lefebre, was postponed for 30 days, rescheduled by the judge hearing the case to April 16, according to an announcement by the Information Office of the United States Attorney, Southern District of New York. According to Information Officer Rebekah Carmichael, this postponement would not have been possible without the agreement of both the prosecutor and the defendants.

Lawrence and Lefebre were arrested on January 15, 2007, and charged with conspiring to transfer funds with the intent to promote illegal gambling. Both men had resigned from the Neteller Board of Directors by October 13, 2006, the date where the Unlawful Internet Gaming Enforcement Act became law. According to reports issued by Neteller, about 95 percent of the company’s money transfers involved internet gambling companies. The charge is made that 85 percent of that business was North American, with three-quarters of that with US customers.

All Neteller money belonging to US customers is now frozen. Barred are payments by any mode from US accounts. This means no transfers to the Neteller debit card, peer to peer transfers, or purchases from merchants. Neteller claims that the total number of frozen assets belonging to US poker players and other US gamblers are about 55 million dollars. Money already in the Neteller debit card, which is handled by a Louisiana bank, appears to still be accessible at this time.

This postponement comes as a disappointment to poker players hoping to have their Neteller money made retrievable sooner rather than later.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Neteller news March 16

Thx for the update Bob
Old 03-17-2007, 05:15 PM

Wow...
Old 03-17-2007, 11:57 PM

I too want to thank you Bob, considerate of you to post this.

I've got $41,000 stuck in this quaqmire.

I hope you all is well with you Bob we used to play cash games together over the years.

Best,

Rianna
Old 03-18-2007, 01:59 AM

Wait,

I had money in my debit card but tried to get it out and wasn't able to. Is that not the norm? Did I juts need to try a different machine or something? Have other people been able to get the money out of their debit cards?

Also,

Thanks Bob.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait,

I had money in my debit card but tried to get it out and wasn't able to. Is that not the norm? Did I juts need to try a different machine or something? Have other people been able to get the money out of their debit cards?

Also,

Thanks Bob.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was possible for a week or so after the Founders got arrested, they closed that down. Then transferring to a "foreign friend" (i.e. UK) worked for another week after that. Nothing works anymore.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:39 AM

I have heard from friends who have been able to withdraw funds left on their NETeller cards, as well as from friends who have NOT been able to withdraw funds left on their NETeller cards.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:30 PM

I had trouble sometimes, but in general I could withdraw from the card. There were times where it didn't work once or twice in a row, but it may have been the machine's fault?
Old 03-19-2007, 04:49 AM

I just signed up on the Yahoo, Neteller Customer Coalition. The group header says:

Activity within 7 days:
318 New Members - 53 New Links - 185 New Messages - 2 New Databases - 10 New Photos - 13 New Files
Description
This site is designed to organize all US and other members that have money tied up in Neteller.

We are actively pursuiting all avenues that will get our money released -- going after Neteller, the government, the media, etc..

Please use the DATABASE section of this site to post the amount you have tied up in Neteller and read through some of the FILES sections to determine next steps..

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Web page URL:
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...omerCoalition/
Old 03-19-2007, 04:27 PM

Can this be interpretted as a good sign that gov case is not that strong and maybe even pt to a settlement that's more favorable to Neteller/ie. us?