Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 11-16-2007, 10:03 PM

Default Re: Dating a poker pro- From the perspective of a non-playing girlfrie

[ QUOTE ]

huh? if you are a winner, playing 40 hrs means you will win 2x what you won by playing 20 hrs.

and yes i understand that variance exists, i'm speaking in terms of expected value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, can be. Some people can play well for 1 hour and not for 5 hours. Some people can play one table well and do horrible at three tables.

Just like King Henry knows about sports betting, doubling the amount of games you bet on doesn't necessarily mean you will win 2x.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

huh? if you are a winner, playing 40 hrs means you will win 2x what you won by playing 20 hrs.

and yes i understand that variance exists, i'm speaking in terms of expected value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, can be. Some people can play well for 1 hour and not for 5 hours. Some people can play one table well and do horrible at three tables.

Just like King Henry knows about sports betting, doubling the amount of games you bet on doesn't necessarily mean you will win 2x.

[/ QUOTE ]

But doubling the amount you bet does. LDO.

Your just making pathetic excuses. Because you can't do something and are limited by it, does not mean that I am limited by whatever is holding you back. Maybe you're too stupid, lazy, insecure or whatever. Don't try to explain it onto the rest of us.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:37 PM

if you are miserable with five dollars you will be miserable with a million. Money just magnifies your problems.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Your just making pathetic excuses. Because you can't do something and are limited by it, does not mean that I am limited by whatever is holding you back. Maybe you're too stupid, lazy, insecure or whatever. Don't try to explain it onto the rest of us.

[/ QUOTE ]
I suggested this a while back so expect him to discount you.

I'm done with this thread.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious how do you feel about being a real estate agent as a career?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. Every real estate boom brings people attracted to riches and then the inevitable bust sends them back to the streets. I think 1 out of 7 don't even last a year.

Difference is that you usually find out quickly if it is right for you or not.

For whatever reason, there are many poker players that do spectacular for 5 or 6 years and then go bust. Might be that they won a tournament, ran hot, didn't adjust, confidence shot, etc.

Cheers
Old 11-16-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I suggested this a while back so expect him to discount you.

I'm done with this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never made excuses. I can definitely be a person who sustain a living solely from poker (I hate the term poker pro). I find poker as a career rather boring and unfulfilling.

I don't know why you seem so angry and resentful. I have stated that this is my opinion and what I have witnessed over the last two decades.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:31 AM

I know tons of kids in their 20s making 200k+ a year and they are playing significantly less than 40 hours a week. As someone stated earlier, it really isn't that difficult if you dedicate enough time into learning the game. I'm afraid you're being pretty naive about this golfnutt.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:12 AM

I don't think he is naive so much as just very risk adverse.

I also think he is using his own preferences as universal and not willing to see that other people might have different preferences. I wanted a certain lifestyle that just can't be had by working.

If I was presented with a choice between option A (I get my life 1% of the time and instant death 99% of the time) vs option B (I get a $90k a year job for the rest of my life) I would choose A. With A at least I have a 1% chance of being happy vs option B where I have 0%.

I do see his point somewhat since a lot of so called pros are delusional but the problem isn't being a poker pro it is being delusional. I live in a city where we have three awful universities. The admission criteria is basically that you have tuition and can walk upright yet every business student I talk to thinks he is going to be the CEO of a Fortune 100 company. Every girl I meet in "design" thinks she is going to design the next World Trade Centre etc. Being delusional is bad but it certainly isn't limited to poker pros.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:51 AM

And she's hot too [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] You've hit the jackpot, sir.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:12 PM

Here is my story...I m 26 next month.
I started around 10years ago with magicthegathering a cardgame where ,if u are a pro,u can make a living of it travelling and so on.I was a semipro and i can say it was more a hobby.
Then 2 years and half ago i found poker online thanks to a friend and i began at 25NL.
I did all steps and my friend(who played 5\10) helped me a lot giving me books and suggests.
Now i m playing NL600$ and i m trying to go on NL1000 because i ve around 75buyins for 5\10 but i m a bankroll nitty.This is my only source of income and for this year is around 100k.
I should get a degree in informatic engineer but in italy after u get degree and if u find work u get around 1200euros\month around 1800$ ,actually i live with parents but i would like to rent a home.
With a normal work(after university) rent is around 750euros to live alone in 50\60metres house so many guys can t do it alone.
I don t see the point of getting a normal work now but I understand this create some social problems also with girlfriends who are scared of a serious relationship.
When they ask you what u do what u say?
How can u make understand your girlf there s no difference between playing poker or having some shop\anything without a superior?