Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If Santana Moss doesn't play this week, who plays?
G. Jennings @ MIN 2 22.22%
Re. Williams vs HOU 7 77.78%
Ma. Clayton @ TEN 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Re: ***** Clash of the Titans, Week 9: NE @ Ind*****

[ QUOTE ]
i haven't seen this mentioned a lot - maybe i missed it - but one of the things i think really favors the pats is how good they are at keeping defenses on the field. i think there's a reason they were so focused on dominating time of possession vs. the skins.

when the colts are scoring they seem to move in big chunks. the pats' running game - and the fact that this is one of the colts' weaknesses - is a big asset. the short passing game functions in a similar way.

if manning and the colts are able to put together some long, time-consuming drives, they will greatly improve their chances.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Colts are as good as anyone at controlling the clock when they want to. Watch them at the end of games and they do a phenomenal job of grinding out the last 5 minutes.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:46 PM

all i know is that this game is gonna be frickin awesome
Old 10-31-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

On defense, I don't know what the Colts should do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Onside kick?
Old 10-31-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Onside kick?

[/ QUOTE ]
If they were coached by Jeff Fisher, it could happen I guess.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Give the Pats the ball at the Colts 5-yard line. That should eliminate the deep threat and expose the Pats Red Zone issues.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Take as many late hits as it takes to get rid of Brady for the rest of the season. They will lose the battle, but it may be the only way to win the war.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

kyro,
You predict a 10 point victory for the Pats, yet dude is out of his mind to think they win by 14?

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed this the first time. The guy is giving 1:1 odds on Pats -14. That's stupid. For several reasons, the biggest being he could get 1:1 odds on Pats giving far fewer points.

Also, what part about my post where I said I didn't think Pats -10 was a fair line did you not understand. Do you understand sports betting at all? If I think a team should be favored by 1 point, I'm not going to come up with a score where the favored team wins by 1 just to make the numbers fit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I understand sports betting just fine.

The dude said he thought the Pats would win by 14. People starting calling him an idiot, and asking how much action they could get with that line.

He didn't come into the thread saying, "zomg the line should def be -14!"

He just backed up what he said by saying he would bet $100 on the Pats to win by at least two touchdowns.

I didn't mean to single you out, I just thought it was stupid everyone jumped down his throat for his opinion, because at this point in the season, it's not all that ridiculous.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:48 PM

I called him silly for betting -14, so he obviously thinks the line should be -14 at least.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:14 PM

except you guys were all calling me idiots from a sports betting perspective which was NOT my intention whatsoever. All I wanted to do was discuss the game but everybody wanted to talk about "betting lines," and since I know NOTHING about sports betting I didn't know what you guys were talking about.

Obviously I now know that in terms of sports betting, a "-14" line is -EV, but in terms of just discussing the game like normal people I see zero reason why the pats winning by 2+ TD's is "incredible," "idiotic," or "moronic." With the way the Pats are playing I WOULD be surprised if they lost, and why is it that most people agree that the only blowout if there is one will be Pats>Colts and not the other way around? Go read some polls or discussions on other websites, a majority are saying a Pats victory by 10+ points. Yeah, thats not 14 points but at least most people think the game won't be that close.

Oh, and Yahoo Sports (maybe not a reliable source for this but whatever) has the Colts as a 5 point dog. Yeah, 5 points isn't 14 but the Colts have NEVER been dogs AT home in recent memory.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:26 PM

Anyone actually disappointed these teams have to meet in the regular season, at least this (relatively) early on? How much more amazing would it be if they were going at it 13-0 apiece, or something like that? Or better yet, both running the table through the AFC championship game? It would have been unfathomable. Rarely does a team emerge with a chance to go undefeated in any given season, let alone two, and yet, a scheduling quirk forces them to beat each other up now. Oh well.

Everyone knows what the Colts can do. What I'm looking forward to seeing is what the Pats can do when they're pushing pedal to the metal all 4 quarters. Even in the last two blowouts with all that "running up the score," we all watched and knew that they were still scoring LESS than their potential, playing a little more conservatively in the 2nd half against Miami and pulling Brady early in both games. Anyone watching that Miami game thought to themselves, "they could probably drop 70-80 in this game if they really wanted to." With the Colts' ability to score in quick bursts, Brady & Co. will undoubtedly be balls to the wall regardless of the score until the clock strikes zero, and it will be fully justifiable. This could be really impressive.