Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Should the Pats be running up the score on everybody in garbage ti

What a retarded thread. So if Tiger Woods is leading by 8 strokes at the beginning of the last round of the Masters, should he put away his driver and only use his putter? Should Roger Federer retire from Wimbledon since he wins it every year?
Old 10-30-2007, 02:21 PM

Who else thinks that the Pats should go for 2 points after every TD? I would figure that in a spread formation that their chances are higher than 50%.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they are sick of taking all the blame for something lots of teams were doing

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm amazed that Pats fans (which I am not) continue to say this as if it were proven fact. You don't even say "probably doing", just "were doing". This is fascinating because I haven't seen any proof that any of the other 31 teams did this, but I'd be happy to look at any articles or evidence that someone can provide me.

Not only did Belichick get caught doing it against Green Bay last year, a memo was sent out basically saying "DONT DO IT!" and then he did it again in the first game of the season.

Playing the "Patriots as the victim" card is so ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Patriots aren't victims, but they're not the villains everyone is trying to make them out to be.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who else thinks that the Pats should go for 2 points after every TD? I would figure that in a spread formation that their chances are higher than 50%.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there are a lot of teams that should do this. The only thing holding me back is that its possible that if defenses lined up to stop the 2PC like 4-5 times a game, every week, they might start to get really good at stopping it. But I gotta think most teams are well over 50% on that. Its 4th and 2...anyone got any tables for what the NFL average is on 4th and 2? It would be slightly lower than whatever that is since they have a smaller field to work with (i.e. no deep bomb threat) but it should be close.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, this is probably worth its own thread.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they are sick of taking all the blame for something lots of teams were doing

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm amazed that Pats fans (which I am not) continue to say this as if it were proven fact. You don't even say "probably doing", just "were doing". This is fascinating because I haven't seen any proof that any of the other 31 teams did this, but I'd be happy to look at any articles or evidence that someone can provide me.

Not only did Belichick get caught doing it against Green Bay last year, a memo was sent out basically saying "DONT DO IT!" and then he did it again in the first game of the season.

Playing the "Patriots as the victim" card is so ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Patriots aren't victims, but they're not the villains everyone is trying to make them out to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the reasonable approach to watching the Pats (as a non-Pats fan) is to appreciate how awesome they are, never complain about them running up the score, and save up energy for laughing at them when some key player gets hurt. Its not that I'm HOPING someone gets hurt, its just that they have absolutely no sympathy if it does happen since they brought it on themselves. Which is fine by me, they can take on whatever risk they happen to feel is acceptable to reap the rewards they are going for. I think its awesome. As a non-Pats fan, I get to watch 60 minutes of awesomeness, and if Brady gets hurt I don't care because I could care less if the Pats win the SB.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What a retarded thread. So if Tiger Woods is leading by 8 strokes at the beginning of the last round of the Masters, should he put away his driver and only use his putter? Should Roger Federer retire from Wimbledon since he wins it every year?

[/ QUOTE ]

These comparisons ARE NOT ANALOGOUS, no they don't have to stop playing and completely give up, nobody is saying that. The Pats continue to put on the afterburners after the game is pretty much over. Maybe if the team they are going against pulls 5 TDs in 10 minutes with 5 onside kicks or 5 TOs they might win but nobody including other top heavy dynasties have done this. Honestly, go check what the Spurs in the NBA do every year. They don't play their starters near the amount of minutes as the other powers in the NBA do. And guess who is ready to blast away in the playoffs 3 of the last 7 years, the Spurs.

You don't have to take games off, you just don't have to rub it in the faces of the opposition, at every chance you get. Honestly winning 45-0 that much different from winning 38-0 or 38-7? Nope. What does it prove? There is no polls, only Ws and Ls in the NFL. Eventually keeping in starters when there up huge is going to bite them in the @ss, and I can't wait for it. I remember when C-Webb was in the Dallas game in the playoffs, down by 25 in the 3rd when they had no shot in winning and he collapsed to the floor never to be the same. Well the same thing can happen to any Pats player especially when the game doesn't matter. Yeah, Brady hasn't gotten hurt so far, but what happens if he does. Does Cassel turn into the next Brady? Or what happens if there up by 50 and Moss gets hurt? They'll still be good but not nearly as good as now. It just doesn't make much sense in what they are doing if your going to say things such as "well if the D could stop them, they'd stop doing it." Well what happens when someone takes a cheapshot on someone from the Pats for what they were doing. What's the excuse going to be....duurrr...well.....we were trying to win 60-0, but our season came to a screaching halt when Brady broke his shoulder.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its not that I'm HOPING someone gets hurt, its just that they have absolutely no sympathy if it does happen since they brought it on themselves. Which is fine by me, they can take on whatever risk they happen to feel is acceptable to reap the rewards they are going for. I think its awesome. As a non-Pats fan, I get to watch 60 minutes of awesomeness, and if Brady gets hurt I don't care because I could care less if the Pats win the SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very reasonable. If Brady goes down in a 38-0 game, well then, [censored] me, but I promise I won't blame Belicheck for making the decisions he's been making.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there are a lot of teams that should do this. The only thing holding me back is that its possible that if defenses lined up to stop the 2PC like 4-5 times a game, every week, they might start to get really good at stopping it. But I gotta think most teams are well over 50% on that. Its 4th and 2...anyone got any tables for what the NFL average is on 4th and 2? It would be slightly lower than whatever that is since they have a smaller field to work with (i.e. no deep bomb threat) but it should be close.

[/ QUOTE ]
I read somewhere (football outsiders maybe) that NFL teams have converted 2pt conversions 43% of the time. Both the Patriots and the Colts would likely be higher than that, but I'm not sure if they would be over 50%.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:38 PM

I think that if a player actually did make a dirty hit on Brady that knocked him out for the rest of the season and possibly even his career, the backlash against him and his team would swamp the current antipathy directed toward the Pats right now - especially if it came out that a coach directly ordered for the hit. Run up the score or not, there is no place in sports for dirty hits that could result in serious injury. None, whatsoever. Anyone who says a serious hit designed to inflict debilitating injury on Brady or anyone else on the team is justified totally lacks perspective on the situation. This sort of unsportsmanlike conduct simply dwarfs anything the Pats are doing on or off the field.

And with evidence of a deliberate attempt, I would expect the NFL to rain down heavily on the dirty player and the team. Brady is one of the faces of this league and one of its biggest draws/money-makers. They would be none too pleased.